Horn problem when fitting original steering wheel

PostPost by: phil_ring » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Could someone in the forum explain why I am baffled regarding the horn button connection on my late 1973 Elan +2S, 130 /5 sp.
I am trying to replace the original steering wheel and horn push after the previous owner had fitted a Motolita to the car. Whilst the hole that takes the brass pencil brush is situated at a radius of 33mm from the centre of the wheel, the outside diameter of the copper slip ring fitted in the steering column is 50mm. Consequently the outcome is that the pencil does not make contact with the slip ring and therefore no horn connection is made. The gap being 33 ? 50/2 = 8mm.
I have purchased a new pencil brush and tried to find a slip ring with a larger diameter. All the Dealers inform me that there is only one size for all Elans. I could fabricate a larger diameter of slip ring but when I take a look through the 8mm brush hole in the steering wheel (when it is in position over the splines) the outside edge where the brush would sit, is very close to the outside metal edge of the column and could potentially short out.
I was also supplied with another earlier Elan steering wheel and its hole is in exactly the same spot of 33mm radius from its centre.
Can anyone explain this and what it needs to make a good reliable connection?
Regards,
Phil.
phil_ring
New-tral

PostPost by: steponit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Follow this link as the later steering wheel doesn't use a pencil. The back of the steering wheel has a sprung brass slip ring

lotus-electrical-f38/sprint-horn-push-t13924.html

Steve
steponit
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Photo may help? Assume this is the "triumph" collapsible column as fitted to the S cars ...
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: