ignition leads

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi all,
I feel I have been a bit stupid,I have taken off my carbs and ignition to do the work thats been sugested (see its alive), however I forgot to take note of where what leads go where on the dizzy cap before I took them off it.Silly I know. The spark plug ends have cable ties on them to denote 1 to 4 but its the other end that I dont know where they go. Can some one draw a sketch of the dizzy cap showing which lead plugs in which point.
Very much appreciated

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 pm

You need to find out where the rotor arm is pointing when it is ready to fire on #1 cylinder. There is no fixed position for this - it depends on the alignment of the distributor and how the distributor drive gear is aligned with the jackshaft, etc. So you just have to work it out for your engine.

So, turn the crank to TDC. Then work out if you are on the firing stroke for #1 or #4.

To work out which is which, the easiest way is to look through the oil filler cap, and you will be able to see the cam lobes for #4 cylinder.

If the engine is on the firing stroke for #1, the cam lobes for #4 will be pointing up.

If the engine is on the firing stroke for #4, the cam lobes for #4 will be pointing down.

If you are on the firing stroke for #4, turn the crank by one full revolution, back to TDC. Now you are on the firing stroke for #1.

The rotor arm will now be pointing to the cap electrode for #1. Fit that lead.

Now, in an anticlockwise order, viewed from the top of the distributor, for the leads for 3, 4, 2.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 am

paddy wrote:To work out which is which, the easiest way is to look through the oil filler cap, and you will be able to see the cam lobes for #4 cylinder.

If the engine is on the firing stroke for #1, the cam lobes for #4 will be pointing up.

If the engine is on the firing stroke for #4, the cam lobes for #4 will be pointing down.

I think at TDC on #1 firing stroke the lobes on #4 will be pointing towards each other not upwards.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:17 am

Just for clarification, the cam lobes will not be pointing straight down or straight up at TDC. I think the second check is that #4 cam lobe will be angled towards the carburetors when on the firing stroke for #1; if it is angled towards the exhaust then it is on the #4 firing stroke. Again, "towards" is a relative term - in both cases it will not be pointing directly.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 pm

I have found No1 fireing stroke by removing all the plugs and putting my index finger in No1 spark plug hole and turning over the engine with a spanner on the crankshaft pulley until my finger is `blown` out. Its then a case of checking if the TDC mark on the pulley is near the mark on the timing case, if you have No1 on compression stroke and the marks are in alignment or close to it you are fireing on No1. Therefore set the marks to TDC and fit the distributer.

John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgwitherell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 pm

This Diagram from the shop manual should answer the original question.
Attachments
Plug Wire Location on Distributor.jpg
Plug Wire Location on Distributor.jpg (6.8 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
rgwitherell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks,

A picture paints a 1000 words..

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: