Indicator dash light.

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi all.

This is driving me mad just at the moment, i've wired my Indicators up as per S4 Wiring diagram but the Green Indicator light in the odometer only flashes once? The external Indicators all work fine and at the correct speed which is really odd?

Frankly i'd understand it if the light didn't flash at all but its confusing it comes on once then not again until i turn it off and back on again and it will flash once again.

Weird.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi there, thought I had seen a previous post referring to something similar to this

lotus-electrical-f38/indicator-warning-light-t29283.html?hilit=indicator#p226169

Not sure if the link works as I've not done this before but it appears under Electrical, indicator warning light topic and seems to have the necessary info that might help
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for that, i usually search before posting but i thought it was going to be some thing i'd wired up wrong.

Tell you what is a bit odd, the guy i got the car off said he always had problems with the Indicators going really slowly, first time i tried them this morning i thought "great there working at the proper speed" but then noticed the new front lamps had no bulbs in them so with it all together and Bulb'd up every on flash lasts about 5 seconds :( so i guess i'm in the market for a new Relay.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

I have the same issue except that my front indicators don't work. I think it's a connector problem for the latter issue. In addition, ever since I converted to an alternator my charge indicator lamp hasn't worked yet the battery charges just fine (over 14v at idle)!
When I first went to an alternator I found the indicators flashed much more frequently - no doubt due to the increased voltage in the system especially at idle/low revs.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Bit of an update, i found a second flasher in a box (a Tex flasher i believe is original) plugged that in and it flashed at the right speed but the Tell Tail still only flashed once.......Had a chat with the M.E.T, guy at work and he suggested fitting some new quality bulbs, so bought a full set of Osram bulbs and it works spot on (flashes at a nice speed and the tell tail is working as it should)

So really happy :)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted, who would have thought it required new bulbs, very strange but certainly one to remember for the future :D
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 am

Bit of an update..... after a couple of weeks the tell tail started to flash only once again, so i did lots of reading up again and found a bit like the Ignition light the original indicator tell tail needed a 5w bulb in it rather than the common 2.5w i had fitted (5w are a pain to get hold of with screw in fittings, but i didn't really want to change the holder as that would have been way to easy :roll: )

So that was December and it's still working correctly so i think i'll call that a fix.

http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/10X28-12V-5W-415mA-MES 12v 5w E10 10mmx28mm 415ma
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: