Indicator issue - any pointers to assist my fault diagnosis

PostPost by: Si Geen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 pm

My Indicators stopped working yesterday can anyone please help to point me in the right direction to diagnose the issue.

I've looked at a lot of the blogs on the subject but thought I'd convey my symptoms.

My plus 2 is recently back on the road for the first time in 4 years.

Then for no reason whilst driving the indicators stopped flashing.

Now the indicators both left and right do not come on or flash.

In an attempt to diagnose the fault I have noted the following:

If the indicator arm is left up or down and power is applied via the ignition, the speedo green indicator light comes on but does not flash?

If the ignition is turned on with the indicator in the neutral position, then the indicator arm is pushed up or down. No green light appears on the speedo?

Hazard flashes work fine front and back and flash perfectly.

The steering column has been a problem and the binnacle very rarely sits still.

Sent from my iPhone
Si Geen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NIGELAN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 am

Hi, after 2 years of taking from the forum it may be you have given me an opportunity to give back in a small way.

I have just rewired the dash and engine bay of my +2S130 and now know it fairly well.

I suspect you need to fit a replacement flasher unit (SJR and MM stock them) as the fact that your hazards work proves the wiring is okay (except for the spur to the indicator switch and warning light).

The hazard flasher is a separate unit from the normal flasher.

I believe the flasher unit is usually located on the drivers side, rear of the lower part of the dash near the headlight switch. It is a small aluminium box which pushes onto a plastic base, easy to refit once you locate it.

Best to take your shoes off to avoid marking the headlining while you lie upside down in the footwell :roll:

Hope this helps!
Elan S4 DHC 1970
Elan +2S 130/5 1973
Excel SA 1987
NIGELAN
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 am

fuse :?:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 am

I've rewired mine, a +2 S130.
My flasher unit was located near the rev counter.
I got one from halfords for pennies.
It now flashes at 'modern' speed.
Also my indicator stalk was shorting out so I bought a new one from ebay for about ?25.

Cheers

Ian
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si Geen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'd checked all the fuses.

I'll let you know how I get on ...... Sod's law, today it's pouring down but I'll look anyway.

Thanks

Simon
Si Geen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Si Geen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'd checked all the fuses.

I'll let you know how I get on ...... Sod's law, today it's pouring down but I'll look anyway.

Thanks

Simon
Si Geen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 am

Hello, mine stopped flashing the other day having been getting slower and slower when at idle. Replaced the lucas flasher unit and now it flashes but still very slow at idle. Not as slow as the original but annoying and I'm sure confusing for other drivers. Not sure how it passed it's MOT! I've read about the Lucas unit relying on current/heat and to look for an electronic equivalent but can't find one.

Sound like it's your flasher unit near the rev counter as already described - it's not the getting into the foot well but the getting out I have difficulty with! :lol:

Ian - what was the product code of the Halford replacement you bought? I've been trying to 'search' for modern electronic unit but the one I bought flashes way too quick. I know it's something to do with bulb wattage and number of bulbs :? - but please could someone just tell me what to buy :D

Thanks, Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:10 pm

first lets go back to basics, what year is your +2. This makes all the difference depending on year the wiring is different :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Si Geen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Alan

It's a 1973 130/5 which has been fully spyder zetec modified by previous owner.

The strange thing is its fixed itself!

Now I'm concerned as I removed the dash and traced all the wires from the steering column to the flasher relay which was located on the left hand side behind the glove box. ( I've even ordered a new relay).

My suspicions are pointing towards the steering column and some sort of wiring short!

The only thing that's changed has been my attempts to tighten the steering rack which had more movement than usual.

My hunch came about when I applied full lock and the horn briefly sounded.

Any thoughts?

Simon
Si Geen
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: