Micro switches

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Does anyone know where you can get the micro switches that were used for the door & headlamps?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Don't know about your part of the world but these people in the UK do a repro switch which looks the same.
http://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGOC_Spares_HORN___SWITCHES___WIRING__MGB__73.html

I replaced my headlamp switches with lever operated microswitches mounted on the stop bolts. These are cheap and widely available and I find them more reliable than the original.

Regards,
Attachments
Headlamp microswitches.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:32 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:Does anyone know where you can get the micro switches that were used for the door & headlamps?

These are the one's I bought for my '71 Plus 2 Federal from Allied Electric in the 'States. They fit correctly in the switch and work fine. My original Burgess switches were listed as NLA, and this was the replacement call-up. Key is same physical dimensions or you may need to fiddle with them a bit to get them to fit/work. Two switches required fro my set-up, but they were both the same.

Note my dash light switch has the micro switches integral with the vacuum light switch in the dash; they are not located by the pods. Not sure if your Elan is set up the same way, or is more like previous post with pod switches. I am thinking Allied should have the other lever action switches as well if you prefer a NA supplier.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Search ... E12D18A442

Here is a link to the thread on the related side light circuit in the Plus 2, which is a bit confusing.

elan-plus-f13/side-lights-t17589.html

My door switches looked pretty bush league. I decided to just clean them up. Couldn't find anything remotely similar. Again, Elan may be different.

Back to the Gey Cup pre-game. Calgary is full of green painted people this week!

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Stu,
Hope you get the result you are wanting from the Grey Cup game. I don't have any favorites, not really a football fan.
The switches used on the Elan are the same for the headlights & door/interior light. They are a very simple (light & cheap) design, just a plunger with a cylindrical plastic insulator on the end. Surrounding the insulator is a piece of metal with a spade as part of it. When the spring closes the switch there is a contact between the metal spade ring & the outer body of the switch housing. As I said very simple & cheap.
I have had a thought that if nobody knows where to get the originals then I might be able to use ones that are used on most cars thse days for the door interior switch. They are similar in operation i.e. a plunger style.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 am

I think I see what you mean Keith. I got some of these, but they didn't fit for my application. Might work for you

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... itches.php
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Why not eliminate the headlight microswitches and change over to the solenoid style vacuum valve (Like the later S130s)? It has the benefit of reduced number of possible vacuum leaks.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 pm

The ones you sent the web site for seem to be modern plastic equivalents of what I am looking for.
In answer to you Gerry, I am trying to keep my car as original as possible since I am the original owner.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Keith,
Did you look at the link I sent ? I know it's the MG owners club but many parts were common on cars of the period and I have got small electrical parts for my Elan from them before that I couldn't find elsewhere.

http://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGOC_Spares_HORN___SWITCHES___WIRING__MGB__73.html

Item 32 looks like the part you want although you can't tell if it's metal or plastic from the description. Might be worth asking - drop them a line [email protected]

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Item Number 35 (in-line door switch) looks a lot like the Plus 2 door switches, which screw through into the metal brackets behind the corners of the dashboards. From the MGBGT tailgate???

Regards

Gerry
Last edited by gerrym on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi
I bought two door courtesy light switches for my S4, from Mick Millar?s in September.
They are aluminium and look a bit cheap and nasty, so a good match for the originals, they only cost me ?2.75 + VAT each.

Mark
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: