Oil Pressure tube and Mouse holes.

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 pm

I got all my steering column bits/seals from Rimmer brothers. https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Category-- ... rts--m-602

That said the column seal was nothing more than some 2mm rubber sheet with holes in the appropriate places (take five mins to make one up)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:00 pm

I bought a seal from Sue Miller, (along with a Goodridge braided pipe).

As Grizzy stated above its nothing special, and the holes will likely not line up anyway, so I'll probably end up making one. I've a good bit of nitrile sheet left over from attempting to make a cam box gasket.

pharriso wrote:p.s. I would rotate the distributor & cap 90 degrees so as not to put a strain on the leads...

I doubt it will be possibly as the red/black leads will be too short. The HT's should be OK as they are the posh silicone Magnecor things (?80 !!).

As I said - that's how it came.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 pm

The Triumph column seal was a poor fit so I made one by bonding a suitable grommet into a 2mm strip of nitrile (super glue works well.) The nitrile allows the grommet to line up nicely with the shaft.

s1300007.jpg and

I've also fitted the braided oil pressure hose. That was a bit of a problem as it is much stiffer than the nylon pipe and the screen vent ducting gets in the way.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm

A very neat seal solution to get good deep fit and flexibility in alignment.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:23 pm

For some reason the restorers fitted new, expensive insulation everywhere EXCEPT the front footwells??

And it is still possible to see just a slither of light coming from the engine bay, so the posh seal requires a bit of a tweek!

N.B. When replacing the column don't slide the splines too far into the rack U/J or the taper on the back of the steering wheel can touch the column and the horn blows continuously.

It took a lot of wiring checking to discover that! :roll:

At first it looked like whenever the indicator switch was touched the horn sounded.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: