Reinstalling dashboard

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 am

I?ve finally got my nice new dashboard back in the car loosely in position while I connect everything up. Looks pretty straightforward apart from the heater connections, what?s the best way of connecting up the control cables, they look virtually impossible to get to. Mine are connected at the heater end and need connecting at the dash end. Once I?ve done that my only problem is finding the ignition key, it was last used in 1985 and we?ve moved house since then as well! It must be tucked away carefully somewhere!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 am

Hi Simon,

I think you're going to have to disconnect from the heater to get the cable eyes in the sliders then roughly route the the cables before mounting the dash and then re-attaching to the heater.

Also need to be careful with the cable routing: When I did my heater I discovered the sliders/controls were installed upside down as there is a detent in the air direction controller for the defrost position. This means that the cables go first to the right before snaking around over the heater and down to the left. I initially thought this was wrong but as it turns out is the best way of getting gentle bends to ensure a smooth operation.

Some pics here: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-twincam-f39/heater-rebuild-t16068.html?hilit=heater%20rebuild

Hope the key turns up!

Regards

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks Robbie, that?s a great help, I?m busy today but feeling much happier about finishing the dash installation tomorrow now.

Simon
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 am

Problem, I've searched everywhere and can't find my ignition key.
I thought I knew the number (FSxxx) and ordered a replacement but its not that one.
The number is often on the front of the lock where the key goes in, but mine is blank, not a thing on it.
Is there any way of identifying the correct key number, would factory records record the key number against the chassis number?
Is my only option to replace the switch, which means the door locks too as they were all the same?
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Simon.
If you are sure it was an FS number and if you can remove the barrel from the lock, then I believe you can change the levers/wards to suit the FS key you now have. There were only a few variations.
My ignition and doors are FK. Only the boot is FS
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 pm

You can remove the Barrels in the Door Locks to so one Key does them all. It's very easy. You just need small Hands to get at the Door Locks :roll:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Ahem, I suspect that you might need the key to be able to remove the barrel easily.

Since the switch is not mounted, I suggest you take it to a locksmith and ask him/her to either supply a new key or to fit a new barrel.

THey are not compex lock and I suspect most locksmiths can pick it with ease.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Decided to fit a new ignition switch complete and as the ignition and door locks all used the same key I?ve managed to get three lock barrels with the same key so just waiting for them to arrive then one more job added to the list to change the door locks. I?m ok with the boot having a different key. In the meantime have been testing the wiring out, all the lights work, the electric motors work the headlight pods nicely and when I flash the headlights with the pods down, the spotlights flash as I wanted. The electric fuel pump works as does the starter, just need to check the ignition timing and cure the fuel weep on the tank connection and it?s start up time then I can check the new electric oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge. The heater fan works ok so do the air horns, so it?s just the radio and that?s about it. Then it?s fit the doors, bleed the brakes properly and off to the trimmers!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: