No spark

PostPost by: Uboat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 am

Hi,

I have no spark in plugs. This after changing to a new starter (now works excellent), and refurbishing my tacho (haven't got any rpms yet so I can't see if it works).
I have measured voltage at the coil poles, and they are 11,5V on positive and 1,0V on the other.
I have a pertronix electric ignition. Plug cables/plugs are ok.
Why is this? Could it be a short circuit in the tacho, or is it the distributor?
/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi,

as a partial reply to your post, RVI tachos have the ignition low voltage signal through them, so there is a possibility of a short which would translate in no spark... I believe there are a couple variations of RVI tachos, bottom line being that a white wires in the lotus dash loom would do a loop around a piece of soft metal that would convey the coil input current inside as a sensor. So in case you have these 2 white wires make sure both are connected to the tacho, or if you want the tacho out for test purposes have the 2 white wires connected to each other.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Ulf

11.5V on one side and 1.0V on the other sounds good,but do the figures change as you rotate the engine?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Is your static advance set correctly? When I converted to electronic ignition I had to guess at a static setting. I kept rotating the distributor until I heard a "cough" then moved it a bit more until the engine would fire. I knew my plugs were firing as I put an inductive timing light clamp on the HT leads and cranked the engine while looking for the light to flash (it did!).
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi, I had similar problems with 2 Pertronix units and fortunately had the original Lucas unit to keep me going till I bought an Accuspark dizzy. My local mechanic said early Pertronix units were reliable but had questions about latest type.
Cheers, Ian
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: