Sprint Battery

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

Sorry to bring up boring stuff about batteries but have been looking for info on batteries for a Sprint. Most info on this site is now a bit on the old side so would like opinions on a new battery that I should be able to buy now.
I have spoken with a friend who sells car batteries who informs me that the old Ford type posts as used by Lotus are no longer available.
As I haven't got a battery fitted at the moment am I right in thinking it should be a 037 type?
Any suggestions of a suitable battery would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 am

You can still get 037 batteries but the choice seems limited. Try a google search or Lincon Batteries http://www.lincon.co.uk/modern_car_batteries.html
I changed to round terminals (pillars) some time ago and the last two batteries I got were 063 (slightly big, but they still fitted). You should be able to bolt the existing lead terminals straight onto suitable new round terminals.
Last edited by rcraven on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

Is this what you are looking for? I see in their reviews people with S3 and S4's have fitted them, I do not have one myself and have no connection to the seller but just happened to see these.
http://www.tayna.co.uk/037-Enduroline-C ... P8392.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 am

Not really a recommendation, more a progress report but of the five Elan batteries I've had the least troublesome has been an Odyssey PC680. A bit more expensive to buy initially and the terminal connections are not instantly compatible but its needed no maintainance even over extended periods of non use.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Agree with Stuart - I fitted a PC680 about 5 years ago and it is trouble free. I leave it on trickle charge over the winter but over the summer it looks after itself. Amazing how such a small battery cranks over the twincam.

Richard
Attachments
image.jpg and
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Another vote for the PC680. My cars still long way from on the road but I have had to crank the engine over a lot on the starter and have been impressed by the good cranking speed and time between recharges.

It's not a drop in replacement thou so the down side is having to come up with a mounting solution and the cost. The pro are the good performance and smaller size/weight.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks guys for your help,
The Odyssey really does look the way to go, I've had a look on Google and best price I've found is ?86 with free postage. I will need to alter my lead ends and purchase some odyssey terminals. When I checked my battery lead ends in the boot I didn't realise how small and flimsy they are so I think the time has come when I need to change them.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: