72 Sprint - OS window stuck down

PostPost by: pabbage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:57 am

Hi all,

I've had a quick look at the previous posts but can't quite find an answer to my question.

The car has been in storage for 3 months - unused. This week an attempt to start the car was made (unsuccessful - engine turned over but wouldn't fire - I'll make another post for this!) and at the same time it was noticed that the OS window had been left in the down position and would not go back up (ignition on or off). The NS window works (up and down) but is slow. The OS window apparently just makes a click sound and does not move.

Any thoughts? I am unfortunately overseas so reporting second-hand info from my Dad.

Thanks, Paul
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 am

i'd use a booster or a battery to see whether the motor still works - you may have to remove the door card or maybe the connectors are near the door hinges (top) sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 am

Great thanks
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Remove the door card and take the motor off. It's only four screws and it pulls out from the frame leaving the glass and cable assembly intact. You can then check whether the motor moves without a load on it. Almost all my motor problems have been down to wiring issues - usually a bad earth, although one packed up when the magnets came unglued inside the casing.

While you've got it out you can see if the window mechanism works ok. You'll be able to see visually if the cable arrangement is still intact and you can manually turn the nylon spool that the motor plugs into to check if the mechanism is jammed. You'll need something like a 1" wide 'screwdriver' (I use a tyre lever) to bridge across where the motor pegs go but it shouldn't be that hard to move.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Brilliant - I've forwarded the instructions on to my Dad ... hopefully, he'll have a look this weekend.
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

The usual reason for the window staying down is that the hawser cable has come off the pulleys and is now a tangled mess inside the door. But that is usually accompanied by a twang... thud noise, which it seems is unlikely in your case as it was working when you put it away.

So all it probably needs is some grease on the pulley pivots and on the afore-mentioned nylon drive wheel. and the motor may need to be unjammed and possibly some grease in its gearbox.

The instructions for replacing the hawser are in the later editions of the workshop manual and there are copies of that portion on this website somewhere.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:37 pm

in addition to the weakened battery being the culprit, I would also have someone grab the window glass with their bare hands/palms and pull up while you are throwing the switch. This helps take all the resistance out of the equation.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

In addition to above advice, clean the contacts to the motor, they live in quite a harsh environment and can get quite cruddy. Slap on some Vaseline, or proper electrical grease.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:47 pm

In addition to all of the above:

The rocker switches are simple on off breaker switches + or - up or down

Before suspecting the mechanical side of things you should look at the electrics, I have had 2 switches in the last couple of years that required replacing or refurbishment on my S4. I drove back from Castle Combe 140 miles with the drivers window open in the rain all due to the dratted switch.

Remove the door card, reverse the wires to the motor to test, simples, no need for a meter or electrical knowledge.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: