Switches - Anyone repairde them

PostPost by: memnon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Hello all,

I got to rebuilding the dashboard - great a nice easy job I thought... Right up to the point where I noticed that I hadn't got all the right switches! Window washer and electric window switches are push down switches not rockers. So far I have sourced 3 correct switches, but one has not terminals on the back. I have enought terminals to reconstruct, but I'd like to know if anyone has done this before, how they did it and if it was succesful.

Thanks,

Jason
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi jason
Taken mine apart a few times - pretty straight forward as long as you dont let the bits fly across the room! attached a coupla pics of the window switch apart and the wiring - may help - may not. They're off an S4 - I think you're saying you NEED rockers not flick switches.
Attachments
switch2.jpg and
switch1.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi,

Thanks, thats a good starting point. Yes I need rockers.

Have you or anyone else replaced any of the terminals, I can easily see how to remove the existing rivet, but I haven't yet found any really satisafctory way of replacing it once I have replaced the terminal.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Thinking about the rocker-switch Elan; probably these items are the hardest parts to source. I know this subject surfaces every few years but has anybody actually found out what car these things came from? I cannot believe that Lotus commissioned and paid for all the different types to be made.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 pm

viewtopic.php?t=13862
viewtopic.php?t=14105
viewtopic.php?p=76010
viewtopic.php?t=4857

Do a Google search with
rocker switch rdssdi site:www.lotuselan.net/forums/
for more.

He went to the trouble of getting new switches made, and sold out.

While he says never again, maybe he can be convinced to do it again. After all, the hard work is done.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:47 pm

I sold my switches which were surplus to my needs and not sold to list members to Dave Bean and RD Enterprises. They have them in stock. I believe they have also reordered several times. The minimum order while not tremendous amounted to at least 75 switches. If my poor memory can be trusted.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:39 am

Hi all,

Thanks, for comments, I have sourced some rocker switches. If you look long enough you will be able to find them. I still need to hear from anyone who has succesfully replaced the terminals, and how they went about it.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 pm

When you take switches apart use a clear plastic bag put the switch and hand in the bag rubber band round the wrist and poke tools through the bag . then use switch cleaner and a fibreglass cleaning pen (see eBay) to clean terminals.
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I took my window rocker switches apart 18 months ago. In my case the only thing needing doing were the pitted contacts in the switch. I cleaned then up with emery and flowed a cap of solder over them with a soldering iron. They won't last as long as before, but I can do it again as required. So far so good.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: