Turnolock connector?

PostPost by: ElanAndy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi all,
Read a couple of previous threads, and fear I may be looking for something that may no longer be available. I have managed to acquire a Philips turnolock for my elan but need the speaker connector for the rear...90 degree offset pin ones.
If there are none about can I simply use some well insulated spade connectors? Does anyone know which is the positive / negative terminal?
Cheers guys,
Andy
ElanAndy
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 pm

if you reverse the loudspeaker terminals all what will happen is that the phase of the sound will be reversed : unless it is stereo and the 2 loudspeakers phased in opposition you won't hear the difference.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:14 am

That is correct - the loudspeaker signal is essentially AC so isn't really polarised. The terminals have + and - on them (or are referred to as + and -) so you can get the connections correct at the speaker end and thus won't end up with them out of phase.

You might also have wondered why the speaker cable has two cores rather than a single core + earth. Answer is because it's true AC with the middle of the waveform at 0v.

So, in practical terms, use proper speaker cable (has a way of identifying each core) and make sure you connect the same core to the same connection on the radio / speakers, if that makes sense..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 am

I found the small 2.8mm male Lucar connectors did the job with a little tweaking/filing. I've also seen the ends of the wires simply tinned with solder & flattened out to fit, but have been told these fit perfectly,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260968988869 ... 1436.l2649
I've not been able to find a UK source & add the cost of P&P from Australia to the price of the plugs, with no dimensions given to confirm fit, the Lucars will have to do for now :D

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ElanAndy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for the reply and the advice, very informative and much appreciated. Can't really justify ordering from all the way from Oz! Will have a go with the methods suggested. Cheers, Andy
ElanAndy
New-tral

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Would the 'standard' 2 pin din plug not work? I know the second pin is round and not flat but it might be enough and these are cheap and easy enough to get hold of (Maplin sell them in the UK)?
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: