Wiper Motor Wireing Diagram Needed

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi I know this is a re-occuring topic , I am looking for a wiring diagram to help me re-wire my wiper motor , which is the two speed type. My switch is the round type and has terminals numbered upto 11 , The switch has 3 positions plus push for the washer bottle. The manual diagram simply refers to colours but as mine are very faded , plus some colour blindness on my part I'm struggling with this.

Many thanks all , Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Concrete-crusher wrote: My switch is the round type and has terminals numbered upto 11 ,

I found this diagram in my notes but dont know if it will help as the terminals are letters not numbers.
Attachments
wiper motor (Copy) (2) - Copy.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the diagram , it's my switch that's puzzling me it has terminals numbered upto 11 , where most diagrams only show 4

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:31 am

Just to add info my switch is numbered Lucas 35500b 10.68 I assume the 10.68 is the manufactured date. It has 7 terminals numbered from 3 to 11 plus a micro switch in the centre which goes to the washer motor.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 am

Further update here,s the switch , also the wiper motor has 6 wires , I can make out a green which is fused the others are all rather faded .
Attachments
image.jpg and
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Quite a few wiring diagrams only show the terminals that are used even when there may be more on the part.

According to the diagram, the switch provides a ground path when placed in the appropriate "on" position. All you need to do is ascertain which terminal on the switch is common to all of the others when the switch is in each of the "on" (high and low speed) positions. That's the "E" terminal in the diagram. You can test this with an ohm meter or even a lamp and a battery. You can use the same method to see which terminal is connected to the "E" common terminal in the high and low positions. That should solve your switch dilemma.

For the wiper motor end try this thread. It's pretty comprehensive.
lotus-electrical-f38/wiper-bench-test-t31267.html?hilit=wiper%20motor#p209365

Other than that I'm not much help. In the +2 Fed system the switch provides the power, not the ground.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm

I have the same 2 speed switch and power washer. Looking at my notes from when I fixed the wiper motor last winter I recorded the following colours/switch terminals:
Red/Green - 1
Yellow/Green - 2
Brown/Dark Green - 3
Brown/Light Green - 4
Blue/Green - 5
Purple/Green - 6
Purple/Red - washer 1
Red - washer 2
Switch 2 and 6 appear to be a redundant connection at the block connector for the wiper motor.
Hope that helps

Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 am

Thank you all for the help , I think I can see the answer now but will have to wait until next weekend to try it out.

I remember looking at this particular switch 20 years ago and with out this forum as a resource I only managed to get a single high speed operation and no parking so hopefully a better result this time.

Thanks all again.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 am

If wipers not parking is the current problem, it is easy and cheap to fix, once the wiper motor / gearbox is out of the car. Parking switch is from Steve Hunt Automotive - do a search on eBay or zero7885186111. Removing and re-greasing the rack *at the same time made a huge difference to the load on the motor.

*Edited to say, pull the rack out but leave the wheelboxes in situ.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Update

I found the motor to be a DR3 and the switch to be a PRS7 , seems somebody has switched them in the past. Following the wiring diagram for an elite I now have 2 speeds working which is an improvement. Thanks all for the help.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: