Best place to buy rotoflex couplings?

PostPost by: mattc5455 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me somewhere to buy good quality rotoflex couplings? and does anyone have a part number i can google search for it? or are they sold by dimensions?

thanks
mattc5455
New-tral

PostPost by: Europatc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Welcome Matt
you could try Paul Matty or Spyder in Peterborough. there are a number of people out there who have good part supplies for Elans. I converted to the Susan Miller drive shafts.
all the best
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mrob » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:27 pm

It's been over twenty years since I purchased donuts. I understand that the newer parts have suffered a loss of quality. If I were to buy now I would contact JAE and talk to Jeff Robinson. The phone number is (805) 967-5767. The part number for couplings is A026 D 0034.
Michael Robertson
64 Elan S1
mrob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 pm

miles had a crate of them last time i was there
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJ908 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:23 pm

I have just received four from Miles Wilkins of Fibreglass Services. to replace the four originals which have been on the car since it was purchased new in 1968. Miles explained that he had commissioned the original manufacturer to make what sounds like a significant quantity, for him. Reflected somewhat in the price but a good deal cheaper than the solid drive shaft conversions

If these last as long as the originals have, I shall be well dead and buried by the time they need to be replaced.

I still hold a couple of brand new original donuts as well. Been sitting here for 45 years and have never been needed.

Robert
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am

Hi

I replaced the doughnuts a few years back- was surprised to be billed for over ?300!

Found out not long after that (apparently) Hillman Imp competition spec doughnuts are the same and sell for around ?40 each!

john
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:27 pm

I would love to know where you can find Imp competition doughnuts ?40 these days? When I bought my car (many years ago), it had standard imp couplings on one side and the stronger interleaved ones on the other.. :oops:
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 pm

I got mine from Steve at S.J. Sportscars about 4 years ago.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:53 pm

In for a surprise then ..?72.50 from them now... which I assume is ex VAT!! :-)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24 pm

DJ908 wrote:I have just received four from Miles Wilkins of Fibreglass Services. to replace the four originals which have been on the car since it was purchased new in 1968....

If these last as long as the originals have, I shall be well dead and buried by the time they need to be replaced.

I still hold a couple of brand new original donuts as well. Been sitting here for 45 years and have never been needed.

Robert

So why didn't you fit the spares?

If you've been driving the Elan with original doughnuts like it should be I'm surprised you're not dead and buried already.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJ908 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Quart Meg Miles has asked a question as to why I did not fit my two spare donuts. The answer is that none of the four have needed replacing. However in deference to the fact that all four now on the car are 40 plus years old, then replacing all four all at once probably means they will outlast me ? which is all I ask.

The price of the four which Miles Wilkins supplied me cost me a little over 300 pounds excluding your VAT. With the recent very significant depreciation of the pound sterling against some of the world currencies they seem to be good value at that price.

Robert
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:01 am

DJ908 wrote:Quart Meg Miles has asked a question as to why I did not fit my two spare donuts. The answer is that none of the four have needed replacing. However in deference to the fact that all four now on the car are 40 plus years old, then replacing all four all at once probably means they will outlast me ? which is all I ask.

The price of the four which Miles Wilkins supplied me cost me a little over 300 pounds excluding your VAT. With the recent very significant depreciation of the pound sterling against some of the world currencies they seem to be good value at that price.

Robert

I'm curious as to how many miles you covered in those 40 years. I can't imagine doughnuts lasting that long.

I have got through 4 or 5 sets in my 45 years of owning my Elan.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:19 pm

billwill wrote:[I'm curious as to how many miles you covered in those 40 years. I can't imagine doughnuts lasting that long.

That was my premise (and, Robert, I apologise for not noting that you only had a couple of spares).

billwill wrote:[I have got through 4 or 5 sets in my 45 years of owning my Elan.

And I've got through at least seven!

But I notice Robert lives in Christchurch NZ, like my sister, so perhaps they have better air quality.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi,
With regards to Hillman Imp competition rotoflex. A few years ago I rallied a Hillman Imp and then upgraded? To a Clan Crusader. The engine produced approx 125 bhp in a small power band at very high revs. I used a JK dog box with an AP sintered clutch & LSD so take off was fairly fierce!! I never had a rotoflex fail, although the diff output shafts would twist or break, so needed regular checking. Surprisingly the breakages always occurred on loose surface events, never on tarmac when using F3 slicks. I believe Imp competition rotoflex are now approximately ?120 + VAT.
Mick.
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm

hi,
does anyone know what the main differences are between the elan rotoflex and the imp competition rotoflex couplings please,
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: