Clutch Hydraulic's

PostPost by: S4FHC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 am

I?m replacing the hydraulic line between the clutch master and slave cylinders on my RHD S4 Elan. I know the routing of the pipe between the slave cylinder and the hose connected to the gearbox. I?m however confused on where the bracket should be mounted for the non gearbox end of the hose and the routing of the pipe to the master cylinder. The factory parts list and workshop manual do contain the details required. Can anyone with a short description?

Regards

Dave
S4FHC
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am

Where the flexible joins the tube that goes to the master cylinder there is a right angled bracket. This bracket is attached to the top bolt that goes through the chassis lug and engine mount. It has a slot instead of a hole so you only need to undo the top bolt a few threads and slide it into place.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm

There are two pictures on this thread lotus-gearbox-f37/sprint-clutch-flexible-hose-t31611.html it shows where the two hose brackets live....... if you click on the images they go bigger.

Also just a bit of a heads up, you will want some heat protection on the slave cylinder and the metal pipe that goes between the slave - Flex, the reason for this is the exhaust is very close and tends to put rather allot of heat in to them, it will save having to revisit at a later date. elan-mods-f31/clutch-slave-cylinder-heatshield-t35663.html
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S4FHC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks Alan, Chris,

Pipes and hose are now fitted and looking great (far better than a single pipe running along the back of the bulkhead - as installed by the previous owner). The addition of a heat shield is next on my to do list!

Regards

Dave
S4FHC
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am

..my solution
Attachments
1.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 am

Here's the heat-shield I made for my Plus 2. Scrap steel, wrapped all round with aluminium-faced kevlar insulating stuff. Car isn't back on the road yet so I can't comment on effectiveness, but anything has got to be better than nothing.

1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am

..this is good stuff too - dedicated heat shield material which I used the replace the original asbestos shedding shield above the back box
Attachments
nimbus-shield.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:06 am

Jono

Thank you for posting the info on the Nimbus Lite heatshield. This type of solution is also used by OEM - my Z4 uses something very similar, but BMW give more airspace behind it.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Jono and Andrew,
I have also used this type of heat shield for the muffler. Used some spacers to allow an air gap between heat shield and fibreglass. No heat transference into the boot at all.
Also used the same product to fashion a heat shield for the clutch slave cylinder. Awkward, but seems to do the job.
Cheers,
Colin.

jono wrote:..this is good stuff too - dedicated heat shield material which I used the replace the original asbestos shedding shield above the back box
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: