Diff Cushioning Suggestion

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:54 pm

I was thinking the other day about the considerable weight of the diff hanging from its upper rubber mountings and wondered if there would be any advantage in sliding in a piece of high density rubber sheet between the underside of the diff and the flat chassis plate. As this gap is typically 1/8" to 1/4" in thickness, rubber is easily available to fit. I wouldn't have thought this would transmit any vibration into the chassis and it would maybe ease some of the stresses on the drive train as well as helping to prolong the life of the rubber mounts. The diff would still be free to move/rock and it would help prevent any diff knocking on the chassis as the gap closes up if this happened to be an issue.
I would welcome any thoughts on this as I can't immediately think of any negatives.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:23 pm

An interesting modification, by adding the rubber you are in effect restricting the movement of the diff under shock load, I?m not sure that the chassis/frame is designed to take stress in this area, but it may work. I would think that stiffer mounting by any method will increase harshness

Kelvedon do uprated top mounts and there are various improved diff braces available http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_d ... ctionID=45

Obviously these are far more costly than rubber sheet and probably far more difficult to fit, sometimes the simple solutions are far better than the engineered versions, so you may have a neat idea after all. I wouldn?t experiment with the rubber if the top mounts are worn and need replacing anyway, but I?m guessing your mounts are fine and you are just having a brainwave day.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 pm

William,
I have had a piece of neoprene rubber under the diff' housing for the past 7 years, with no ill effects. I used a piece wide enough to fit between the torque rod lugs, and thick enough to be a slight interference fit. The interference fit holds the rubber in place.
Cheers,
Colin.

William2 wrote:I was thinking the other day about the considerable weight of the diff hanging from its upper rubber mountings and wondered if there would be any advantage in sliding in a piece of high density rubber sheet between the underside of the diff and the flat chassis plate. As this gap is typically 1/8" to 1/4" in thickness, rubber is easily available to fit. I wouldn't have thought this would transmit any vibration into the chassis and it would maybe ease some of the stresses on the drive train as well as helping to prolong the life of the rubber mounts. The diff would still be free to move/rock and it would help prevent any diff knocking on the chassis as the gap closes up if this happened to be an issue.
I would welcome any thoughts on this as I can't immediately think of any negatives.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: