Got my car & need cosmetic advice regarding Gear Knob

PostPost by: Carlos A » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I finally bought a 1970 Lotus Elan + 2. Yeahhhhhhh (pic)

It will be in its way home in two weeks. One of the things I really do not like about the car is the Gear Knob. It looks to me like a faded repro (see pics). Yes, I am a particular guy. I will rather have one made, just like the one in my MG (see pic, only round). The thing is, I do not have the car with me right know and the knob maker in England is asking me a couple of questions. Let me quote him:

?Yes I can make you the gear knob, I would like to have made it a bit better price still for you but I will most likely have to make a threaded insert for the knob to go on the gear lever shaft .If I can use one of my stock inserts I will be able to reduce the price a little. I will need to know the thread type and size for the knob, if you could check that please and also can you confirm the approximate diameter etc you want this made too.?

I am clueless. Can you guys help me?
Attachments
Knob2.jpg and
Lotus_dash_center.JPG and
1970 Lotus gear3.jpg and
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:47 pm

There's a great variety of shift knobs available from the So-Cal Speed Shop... not likely to win you the concours d'elegance however.

http://www.so-cal-az.com/category.aspx?id=34

They have various-sized threaded adapters for most all of their knobs.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, FL
Attachments
Shift Knob Thread Adapter.jpg and
Various Adapter Threads available from SoCal
Eyeball Shift Knob.jpg and
Ol' Blue-eyes is back...
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Dear Gary: Thanks. Marble is not really my cup of tea. I have a person who will make it in BURR WOOD. I want something similar to the one I have in my MG or the one in the pic (Jaguar). But I need to answer the knob maker (regarding thread type and size for the knob)...
Attachments
Knob6.jpg and
691d_1.jpg and
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Try 5/16 inch x 24 threads per inch

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Carlos, the Knob on the car looks original, however most people seem to like them stained and laquered. I think you'll find the thread is 3/8 UNC but don't hold me to that!!

Tasty looking car by the way

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:51 am

Hello Carlos,
Mark is right, that's an original knob, looks just like my +2.
Dilema = original with beautiful 37 year old patina or personal preference.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 am

Carlos,
Yep, that's an original all right.

Mine looked the same until I dipped it in varnish, let the excess drip off and then let it dry over a heater.
Took a while to dry but after doing it a couple of times it ended up looking just like the Jag one you've pictured.
i.e. all the colour came back and it had a nice deep gloss.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi,

The thread is 5/16 UNF and the diameter of the knob should be 1.75 inches. I know this as I am a wood turner by hobby and have just made an Ash gear knob for a friends +2 I am re-building. I have another blank, with insert fitted, ready to turn.

Regards,

Alex
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks Mark: I never had a red car before. I would have preferred black, green or blue, but after I saw four different cars, I followed my mechanic's advice: I ignored my color preferences and went for the best one mechanically speaking. The engine was rebuild by Dave Bean and has only 800 miles since rebuilt. The engine is extremely strong. Compression is perfect. Interior is very nice and complete. Paint /body is 8/10 with no cracks (it was painted 9 years ago). Chassis had no rust, distortion or cracks and it was cleaned and painted by former owner. The car has some flaws: the rear bumper is dull and needs re-chroming. There are a couple of minor mechanical things such as the slooooow electric windows and the radiator which will need to be replaced in the near future. Besides these things, it is in superb condition. I checked it, and then I hired a mechanic that spent 2 ? hours inspecting it. It comes with documentation, pictures and receipts that can fill the trunk...And talking about the trunk: the car is missing the spare tire and jack.

Gary and Alex: you seem to be right. Thanks for the info. As soon as I get the knob I will post pictures. Mark, Ralph and Eric: I will save the original knob. That way, I can always put it back. Alex: Thanks for the info. Do you have pics?
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: