Identification of Diff Ratio

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi all,

is there any chance of identifying the ratio of an Elan Diff from the outside? I mean of course, without opening the diff and counting teeth.... A number or a code on the casing?
:?:
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I don't think so - and even if there was a number that identified the original ratio, someone could have swapped in a different CWP. You can count how many revolutions of the input are needed to make one revolution of the output - easy if it's not in the car, more difficult but still possible if it's in.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I did this the other day, and found it to be much easier than I expected:

- Jack up one rear wheel. Just off the ground is enough.
- Stick a bit of tape to the tread to use as a marker as you rotate the wheel. Or use the air valve.
- Lie down next the wheel and put a lamp under the diff, lighting the prop shaft/diff coupling
- Make a mark on one of the coupling flange nuts (I just put a small scratch with a screwdriver).
- Slowly rotate the rear wheel counting how many coupling bolts swing past. Every four bolts is, of course, one propshaft rotation.
- Count for 20 turns of the rear wheel.

Since you only have one wheel off the ground, the count is equivalent to 10 turns of both rear wheels. For a 3.77 diff you will have counted just over 151 pinion flange nuts going by. Divide by 4 for propshaft rotations = 37.7. Divide by 10 for the rear wheel rotations. Bingo.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Just a thought, but if you know that your speedo is accurate then you can remove the gearbox angle drive and pull out the plastic drive gear -
Blue - 3.9
Green - 3.7
Black - - 3.5

Might get a bit oily though and you will have to top the box up afterward.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 am

Thank Guys :D
One diff is in the car (and whining and making noises). The other one is on the shelf and waiting to be examined....

Mazzini, no idea if the speedo is accurate. But I will check the colours anyway!
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:06 pm

If you jack the car up on the right hand side it will minimise the oil loss, but it's smelly EP oil, it will leak up your arm...it's a law of physics
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: