Jingle Jangle That Disappears With a Dab of Clutch?

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi folks, hoping somebody will immediately recognise these symptoms:

S3 fully warmed up, and there is a new sound - a jingle - jangle type rattling sound from under the car when stationary and the engine is idling out of gear. It immediately disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed, without selecting a gear. It doesn't return when pedal is released. But it does return at the next set of lights when I stop the car again.

Any ideas please?

Best
Steve
1967 S3 dhc
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Fairly sure this has been mentioned before I seem to recall it was something like clutch fork? Others will know answer for certain.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Most likely the release bearing just touching the clutch pressure plate. Check the spring installed to pull the fork right back and the clearance set right.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:54 pm

AND THAT is why I love this forum. Thanks for quick and specific responses elanfan1 and Rohan.

Best
S
1967 S3 SE DHC
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:06 am

could also be the clutch itself, I had a new clutch fitted to a black cab once and it rattled like that from the start, oh would they believe me when I told them it wasn't like that before err No they changed it eventually for another complete clutch and again it was there, gearbox they said stripped it and couldnt find anything, put up with it for 2 years at which point the clutch collapsed fitted a new clutch again and yep you guessed it not a rattle from it and foreman was mystified so keep it in mind,
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 am

I had the same annoying sound and it turned up that the platen held in the fingers wasn't being held by the fingers tightly...ended up cutting it out with a disc cutter and fitting a round faced bearing to act direct on the fingers...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Finally found the time to adopt the lotus position and get to it. Sure enough there was less than 2mm gap so have now duly adjusted. No chance to road test yet but will follow up for sure.
Best
Steve
PS there was a bit of waggle room / play in that the slave cylinder itself moves a fraction when depressing the pedal. seeing as it's only held in by a circlip (and the spring to an extant) I guess that is normal?
1967 S3 SE DHC
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Stevie-Heathie wrote:there was a bit of waggle room / play in that the slave cylinder itself moves a fraction when depressing the pedal. seeing as it's only held in by a circlip (and the spring to an extant) I guess that is normal?

I had that on mine (quite a lot) so I shimmed it with a second circlip if I remember correctly.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Just following up as promised folks. Adjusting the gap to 2mm worked a treat - no more jingle-jangle! Clutch is definitely more "decisive" too.

Many thanks for the spot-on advice.

Best
Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: