Pinion oil seal

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 am

Can't comment on the colour scheme but that oil looks like it really needed a change. There are no clues as to when mine was last done, but I thought the car couldn't have done more than a few thousand miles since. Your oil looks like it's never been changed, so it's a timely intervention on your part. How viscous was it compared to new oil when it came out?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am

It seemed to run a little quicker, but not terribly. I agree it was definitely time, though.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am

I've never been convinced that 'go faster stripes had much effect when visible - even less on components you can't see!
Glad to hear that 'tough love' did the trick.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 am

Red case is red oxide as output shafts and standard, I think the yellow stripe is a factory colour code for Diff ratio yellow 3.7 ? If there is anything standard with Lotus.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 am

Another sign the pinion seal replacement was fortuitous - the frustacones are totally worthless. I thought the diff felt looser than it should when I started working on the diff rods, and no wonder. Rubbers dry-rotted, both separated from the inner steel tube, one separated from the outer steel housing as soon as tried to push it back up into the boot. Not sure how it wasnt causing more vibration, just lucky I guess.

20180313_203313.jpg and
Frustacones just past end of life :)

@MarkDa - but I like go faster stripes!

Thanks @Craven, I wondered if that was the case. Hmm, where to find that yellow.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: