Starter pinion has been touching clutch pressure plate.

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:26 pm

A mate mentioned that his pinion had been touching the edge of his pressure plate [with no apparent problems]. I checked my two different pressure plates and both had also heavy marks on the edges; I thought that maybe starter pinions had different diameters but no. Anyone else seen this?
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Yes.............I had a engine laid up but in good condition for a number of years, when I came to swop engines I did the usual things,seals etc. and fitted a new Bendix to the starter motor. When I tried to start it the engine turned over very slowly, I tried a new battery, earths, connections, starter brushes etc. etc. I then noticed swarf in the bell housing and heavy marks on the Bendix shield / sleeve , it was touching the pressure plate. I had to remove the engine and grind off the edge of the pressure plate, it was a very small amount but it solved the problem.

John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Mine did that.
When I bought the car in April the seller demonstrated a rattling noise after starting and occasionally when running. More of a tinkle really. It came from the region of the starter. I later removed the starter and could see a witness mark on the sleeve. I ground 10 thou off the sleeve and it cured it, but I didn`t know what it had been touching. Thanks for the explanation.
Eric in Burnley
67 Type 45 S3 SE. Running
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:28 am

Thanks for the info. guys, it had me worried; angle grinder at the ready! cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi AussieJohn, Be careful with the grinder, I only took a `gnats` of the pressure plate, I used the flywheel as datum, if you go mad with the grinder the engine will be out of balance and feel rough at higher revs..

Regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 pm

...connecting possible related odd bits...
"saildrive" posted some notes in the last few months about the hole in the metal plate between the engine and bellhousing having a hole slightly smaller than the starter alignment flange causing the starter to be cocked a bit when installed. His stock orig. plate and orig. starter except he had "corrected" the slightly bent area of the starter hole before reinstalling! If it cocks with the end toward the clutch pressure plate the bendix can rub on it? I had noticed the same thing but unfortunately after the rebuilt starter bendix "failed": due to dragging on the clutch pressure plate, one could see evidence of the scuffing, and the sound of not being fully released. I put in an old starter and for whatever reason it worked ok. The old one didn't seem to be misaligned when installed although flanges looked the same (didn't measure).
What actually failed on the rebuilt starter was the internal return spring, evidently a light spring that keeps it back when not in "start" mode. (not the heavy visible spring)
So that brings me to a question..., can you buy and replace this spring, and how do you take bendix apart?
Jk
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 pm

To take a Bendix apart you best use a Bendix Spring compressor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-S ... 0362745859
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks for the info. and advice guys, [ I never thought of a misaligned startermotor ] my engine showed no signs of problems when starting. cheers, John
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jpt » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 am

Here's the photo from ebay for posterity.

Jon
Attachments
Bendix Spring Compressor.jpg and
jpt
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: