Thinking of swapping helix paddle for regular clutch

PostPost by: thegman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 am

Hi

Currently running a helix four paddle clutch plate (was installed when I purchased the car) - it's been in approx 1000 miles but it is driving me crazy. Ridiculously heavy and totally binary. Car was setup as a track car but most of my driving is spirited 'on road'. Engine is putting out approx 150hp.

Am considering a straight swap for the helix 'road' plate. I assume that should cope more than adequately with 150bhp and be much more tractable.

Could anybody advise if they think this is likely to help/slip - any thoughts at all?

Cherta
thegman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 pm

A good quality standard clutch and pressure plate is typically good for much more than a typical 150hp engine. I use basically standard components in a 180hp racing engine that gets considerable abuse on the track without issue

The drop the clutch starts can be a problem with a standard pressure plate but a good quality plate can normally withstand this in a racing elan and gives you much greater control than the on / off binary action of most racing clutch paddle style clutch plates, so your starts are actually quicker.

The pressure plate torque links are the thing that fails in the pressure plate in a developed engine but you can get better quality pressure plates that have multilayer stronger torque links and a higher plate pressure that are no heavier in action than the standard plates.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:02 pm

thegman wrote:Hi

Currently running a helix four paddle clutch plate (was installed when I purchased the car) - it's been in approx 1000 miles but it is driving me crazy. Ridiculously heavy and totally binary. Car was setup as a track car but most of my driving is spirited 'on road'. Engine is putting out approx 150hp.

Am considering a straight swap for the helix 'road' plate. I assume that should cope more than adequately with 150bhp and be much more tractable.

Could anybody advise if they think this is likely to help/slip - any thoughts at all?

Cherta

I've installed the 5 speed version of "heavy duty" helix clutch in my car (in case I change the camshafts at some point so as to have margin - got is from QED, states up to 179 ft/lbs torque...), it is more "binary" (and stronger) than my day-to-day cage and does surprise people who try out the car for the first time, but one can still park and maneuver when used to it. I have to add that I also installed a annular concentric clutch slave (from Saab 900), and I'm not 100% wether that has affected the pedal feel (master/slave ratio re. travel).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 pm

What is a "annular concentric clutch slave"?

Mr.G
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Mr Gale,

An anular concentric slave cylinder is one that fits around the first motion shaft between the engine and the gearbox. Think of it as a hydraulic cylinder with a hole through the middle that drops over the first motion shaft. This cylinder acts directly on the clutch pressure plate. There is no linkage between this slave cylinder and the clutch. The claim for this type of slave cylinder is smoother action. The disadvantage is that it cannot be changed without removing the engine from the gearbox, or gearbox from engine, depending on the particular vehicle it is installed in.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Thank you, Richard.
Mr.G
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thegman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks all.

Am in correct that swapping the friction plate will require the engine out to get to the clutch?
thegman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am

RichardHawkins wrote:Mr Gale,

An anular concentric slave cylinder is one that fits around the first motion shaft between the engine and the gearbox. Think of it as a hydraulic cylinder with a hole through the middle that drops over the first motion shaft. This cylinder acts directly on the clutch pressure plate. There is no linkage between this slave cylinder and the clutch. The claim for this type of slave cylinder is smoother action. The disadvantage is that it cannot be changed without removing the engine from the gearbox, or gearbox from engine, depending on the particular vehicle it is installed in.

Richard Hawkins

They were originally used in the Saab 99 I believe and in that installation with the gearbox below below the engine you could change the clutch and annular slave cylinder and release bearing without removing either the engine or gear box. :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: