Wrong prop shaft yoke

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi,
Remember the sliding arrangement was designed for live axle where the distance between diff and gearbox will vary but on an Elan the diff position is essentially fixed so only very small changes in prop shaft length need to be accommodated.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 am

Ron,
Yes that's very true. But would you be happy with 2mm? I would also add that I have just measured the distance between the eyes on the joints of the main tube on two shafts and there is 2mm difference.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 am

Hi,
NO much too close for comfort, it seems to me even with an original size yoke just 6mm shorter that?s only gives say 8mm gap.
I don?t know how you intend to shorten the prop shaft, I have done one to fit a ? 7 ? years ago it entailed turning down the weld and then parting off the yoke, a fairly big lathe is needed. The yoke then needs to be re-welded and then Balanced.
I would try and find a more suitable replacement yoke before going down the shortening route.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi,
I've had a good search around today and I can only find even longer yokes. I could just about shorten it myself but it's a tad big for my lathe and it needs balancing anyway. So I'll take it somewhere on Tyneside and get it all sorted.

Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: