Lotus Elan

Breaking Lotus Elan Sprint - All parts available

PostPost by: memnon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 pm

All parts now sold-Thanks for comments

Due to just being told that my car is Category B Insurance - new news to me (unfortunately) I have to break my Elan Sprint - I'm just coming to terms with this and haven't worked out how to price it up yet

Car is in coventry (UK) and can be seen running before I strip it ( if you are quick)

I haven't put prices on it all yet - but parts include

Freshly painted Gold Leaf Sprint FHC shell, door, boot, bonnet offers around £8000

Freshly rebuilt Big valve engine (no carbs, dizzy or fuel pump) offers around £8000

ECU ignition kit with loom & Jenvey 45's, Rev counter, Andy Wiltshire Injection fuel tank and pumps £3500

5 speed Gearbox, with Elan bellhousing, QED concentric clutch and Prop shaft and Elan specific speedo cable - £1500

Alloy Radiator with twin fans £400

Lotus Galvanised chassis - done 1000 miles or so

Other parts
Diff with TTR output shafts
Suspension corners TTR Dampers & fast road springs adjustable platforms and TTR hub shafts
TTR Drive shafts
Avo front dampers
TTR Rollcage

All interior available including Colin Chapman signed & refurbished steering wheel.

PM Or call Jason 07970 603966
dsc_0008.jpg and
Attachments
dsc_0006.jpg and
Last edited by memnon on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:39 pm

How can that be a Cat B? Has to be an argument there as bodyshell can be repaired replaced as can Chassis. Chassis is a subframe, identity is in the bodyshell?
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm

I was also puzzled how it could have been a category B.
Do you (Jason) mean that you did what was obviously substantial work on the car after it had been categorised as B but without knowing? Presumably because someone else owned it when it was damaged.
Sometimes it is possible to dispute the categorisation but perhaps it's far too late now.
One of the complications is that categorisation as a write-off is largely down to the insurers, who can be a "law" unto themselves and need to be strongly argued with sometimes, but once it's done the DVLA will usually accept what the insurers have decided.
A trawl on the internet will come up with a variety of views about this, some of them contradictory.
Sorry if you've already gone into all this.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi,

Yes I did all the work without realising it was Category B - I was trying to sell the car when it came to light. I am not willing to try and fight the Cat B mark as I wanted to move on to something different.

I'll happily sell the car complete to someone who thinks that they can get the Category B decision removed/changed. But that would be at their risk.

Other thoughts are it would be a very good basis for a racing car etc.

My love for it had gone before this latest news so I just need to get some money back and move on.

Thanks for the comments.

Jason
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:23 pm

can you export the car without issue? I would think another country might not have issue with it and accept it simply as is with a simple safety inspection?
just thinking outside the box.
good luck.
it would be a shame to see it parted out.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:12 pm

How on earth is that car a Cat B? It would be a crying shame to break it.
Just my two penneth.

Jeff 72 +2
jeff jackson
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I probably could export it, but I want it to go quickly.

Jeff - I Know, but, its not my rule, and I don't have the fight the challenge it
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:45 pm

PM sent plus telephone message left requesting call back re parts for sale , whole car for sale.
Thanks , Greg.

memnon wrote:Due to just being told that my car is Category B Insurance - new news to me (unfortunately) I have to break my Elan Sprint - I'm just coming to terms with this and haven't worked out how to price it up yet

Car is in coventry (UK) and can be seen running before I strip it ( if you are quick)

I haven't put prices on it all yet - but parts include

Freshly painted Gold Leaf Sprint FHC shell, door, boot, bonnet offers around £8000

Freshly rebuilt Big valve engine (no carbs, dizzy or fuel pump) offers around £8000

ECU ignition kit with loom & Jenvey 45's, Rev counter, Andy Wiltshire Injection fuel tank and pumps £3500

5 speed Gearbox, with Elan bellhousing, QED concentric clutch and Prop shaft and Elan specific speedo cable - £1500

Alloy Radiator with twin fans £400

Lotus Galvanised chassis - done 1000 miles or so

Other parts
Diff with TTR output shafts
Suspension corners TTR Dampers & fast road springs adjustable platforms and TTR hub shafts
TTR Drive shafts
Avo front dampers
TTR Rollcage

All interior available including Colin Chapman signed & refurbished steering wheel.

PM Or call Jason 07970 603966
DSC_0008.JPG
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm

So sorry for you, but totally accept it's your decision to do as you must with your car. Good luck.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 pm

This car could still be used on the road with a sympathetic insurer https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/category-b-insurance/

Many insurance companies will immediately refuse any customer looking to insure category A or B vehicles due to the severity of its write-off. At Adrian Flux, we understand how important cars are to their owners and that not all write-offs mean that the car is unsalvageable.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 am

Pretty sure it’s a DVLA ruling (based upon the insurance write off category) that these cannot be out back on the road. Not quite sure how Flux can claim otherwise. Looked into this myself for a car that I had that was written off, I believe the only chance is to get hold of the insurance co Motor Engineer and discuss with him and if he agrees you ‘might’ just get them to change their mind. In my case I worked for the company and knew the engineer - he still wouldn’t change his mind. I suspect you’d be very lucky.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am

Just a follow up - There is no note on the V5 as to this being written off at all. I can only assume that it is on the insurance database somewhere.

I have had a couple of offers to buy the car whole, I'll deal with those first, and if that doesn't happen I'll break the car and be in touch with people in the order that they got in touch with me.

Thanks for all comments.

Jason Farmer
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am

Do you have any photos of it in its pre-repair state, so we can see what the insurance company thought was a class-B writeoff?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry, no, it had been put on a new chassis and partially rebuilt before I bought it. (21 years ago)
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: racer417 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Don't know what "Category B" means. I'm in the US and assume it's equivalent to a salvage title here. How much would you want for the entire car?
racer417
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: