2018 Tires for an S3 Coupe?

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 pm

I am new to the Elan world having just purchased a 67 FHC Coupe. It currently has 155R13 tires on it, and I want to stick to this size, but cannot find new performance tires in this size.

It currently has Vrdestein Sprint + T80 155 R13 tires on it that are hardly worn, but they are 12 years old, and no longer made. Should I just run the old tires and not worry about blowouts, or does anyone have any suggestions for a tire I can buy right now that duplicates this wonderful handling feel?

Thanks for any comments on tires that
1967 Lotus Elan FHC Spyder Chassis
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 am

My serious advice is to purchase new tires as yours will be quite hard and have unreliable grip in the wet. It is not a nice feeling to swap ends on a bend in the road. I had a terrible few years and only 8000mls on new XM1 michies, now using Yokohama Bluearth which are half the price and much better handling. I don?t think there are any performance tires in these sizes.
Happy motoring
Ian(Australia)
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Sat May 19, 2018 6:25 am

What do you mean with "that duplicates this wonderful handling feel " ? The current feel with old tyres ?

I do not think the old tyres will blowout, at least at the speeds you are allowed to. But certainly you will run out of tarmac or breaking space at the sligthest sight of water.

I haven't tested them yet, but I bought the Falken Sincera SN832,
acoording to these (the german autromobil club)
https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/r ... 5_R14.aspx
they are the best in wet and dry conditions, also in line with Semperit Comfort-Life 2 and Continental ContiPremiumContact 5. Only drawbacks are noise and/or wear, which I really do not care.

The Falken is available in 155. I am not sure about the others.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:30 pm

gherlt wrote:What do you mean with "that duplicates this wonderful handling feel " ? The current feel with old tyres ?

I do not think the old tyres will blowout, at least at the speeds you are allowed to. But certainly you will run out of tarmac or breaking space at the sligthest sight of water.

I haven't tested them yet, but I bought the Falken Sincera SN832,
acoording to these (the german autromobil club)
https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/r ... 5_R14.aspx
they are the best in wet and dry conditions, also in line with Semperit Comfort-Life 2 and Continental ContiPremiumContact 5. Only drawbacks are noise and/or wear, which I really do not care.

The Falken is available in 155. I am not sure about the others.

Thanks, it has a wonderful handling feel compared with my 1972 MGB!
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:35 pm

LI-599 wrote:My serious advice is to purchase new tires as yours will be quite hard and have unreliable grip in the wet. It is not a nice feeling to swap ends on a bend in the road. I had a terrible few years and only 8000mls on new XM1 michies, now using Yokohama Bluearth which are half the price and much better handling. I don?t think there are any performance tires in these sizes.
Happy motoring
Ian(Australia)

Ian: Thanks for the advice on this.
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tjb0274 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Michelin do an XAS reproduction in 155x13 - it seems to be well regarded.

I have Pirelli CN36s in 185x13 on my Europa and they're really good, but i think their smallest size in 13" is 175.

Avon CR6ZZs are another repro of period construction, but with modern tread compound. Again, I think the narrowest they go is 175 in a 13".
1969 S4
1969 Europa S2
1990/1970 Ricciardi/Alfa
tjb0274
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pburgess000 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:11 pm

I had the same issue some years ago, wanting to stick to 155-13 with the regular 80(?) profile. I picked up on the forum a recommendation for Bridgestone B330 Evo and have ben very happy with them, even for track work.

They were hard to find - the dealers knew nothing - but I rang Bridgestone in the UK and they arranged for a set to be delivered to their local agent for fitting. BTW, the "Evo" bit is significant.

I spoke to someone with the Michelin XAS and apparantly they need tubes, are hard to balance, and are very expensive...

I hope that helps.

Peter Burgess
pburgess000
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Bill your account suggests your in the USA, is that correct?

Tire availablity varies hugely between different regions so it's very important to consider when asking for recommendation. A lot of the tires available in Europe simply aren't available in the USA. So this needs to be considered otherwise you get a list of excellent tires that you can't actually purchase.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:10 am

mbell wrote:Bill your account suggests your in the USA, is that correct?

Tire availablity varies hugely between different regions so it's very important to consider when asking for recommendation. A lot of the tires available in Europe simply aren't available in the USA. So this needs to be considered otherwise you get a list of excellent tires that you can't actually purchase.

Yes, and it seems there are more good tires in this size in Europe and Australia than the USA.
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 am

Be careful when choosing tyres as they need to meet or exceed the original speed rating for the tyres to avoid voiding insurance etc.

Not all "economy" tyres have necessary speed rating for an Elan, some of the Michelin and definitely Maxxis tyres do, as I fitted a set onto a S1 last year. Iv'e posted with details previously. they hold on well in wet and dry and look right as well.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 am

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your comments. Being in the USA, it looks like the 'who cares about tread life, I want a soft tire that corners' crowd like myself might be stuck with the $193.00 Michelin XAS 155HR13. It appears it is distributed by Coker Tires (no affiliation). Looks like I will order 4 of these.
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun May 20, 2018 2:19 am

There are several owners here in the US using Kumho Solus, with favorable reviews.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 am

pburgess000 wrote:I had the same issue some years ago, wanting to stick to 155-13 with the regular 80(?) profile. I picked up on the forum a recommendation for Bridgestone B330 Evo and have ben very happy with them, even for track work.

They were hard to find - the dealers knew nothing - but I rang Bridgestone in the UK and they arranged for a set to be delivered to their local agent for fitting. BTW, the "Evo" bit is significant.

I spoke to someone with the Michelin XAS and apparantly they need tubes, are hard to balance, and are very expensive...

I hope that helps.

Peter Burgess

I have a set of XAS's on my S3, they do perform very well, better when fast driving than the Firestone's that they replaced, but worth the additional cost? Not so sure. No issues balancing them.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: donselan » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

There are several owners here in the US using Kumho Solus, with favorable reviews.

Mike,
Are those Kumho Solus TA11?

Don
Don Fysh
S3 Elan FHC 36/5607
S3 Elan DHC 45/6646
donselan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Yes, the Kumho Solus is attractive price wise, I am a little worried because they are rated for mud and snow. I wonder if there is much difference between the Solus TA11 and the Michelin XAS handling and feel wise?

Doing a search on the net I have seen a couple sites on Healeys and Triumphs which rave about the feel of the XAS.

Not wild about having to buy tubes also for the Michelin XAS, but if they handle and feel better than the Kumho, well worth it.
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: