Aeon Springs

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Does anyone have the load v. deflection curve for the Aeon rubber springs? I am considering going to smaller diameter rear springs with an adjustable lower perch. However I don't want to do this without duplicating the rising rate characteristic provided by the Aeon springs. I have done a quick search here with no luck. I downloaded the current Timbren-Aeon catalogue and the data are available on request. I am not sure at this point if the springs used by Lotus are in the current range of offerings from Timbren.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Russ,

If it's your +2..

I've been through this and after trying all sorts of permutations of springs and bump stops I eventually settled on a 65mm Powerflex bump stop from Burtons I think (will see if I can dig out the old receipt for reference), omitted the alloy spacers (tried with them and no transition/progression) and ended up with 120lb 14" Faulkner springs. TTR fast road coilovers on the front

This provides a really good settled feel to the car with non of the nasty 'snap' firming up of the rear mid corner which was really very unpleasant in all of the other permutations.

With longer springs (18") you had to wind in so much preload to get the correct ride height it became too hard and moreover I could not compress them sufficiently to get the top cap on! Of course this will be influenced by where you position your treaded platforms on the strut tube.

I'm using limited droop AVO's which I don't much like - I'm changing those to TTR fast Road Koni this winter and I think i will be happy at that.

If not then I'm selling up and buying an Evora 8)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Russ

You are making an interesting point as I have not seen the information after reading everything I can lay my hands on. I have bought Aeons from Kelvedon, but I'm not sure if they really are Aeons (they reminded me of MGB bump stops).

I will see if I can run a non-scentific test with a drill rig and scales...

As a general point, I can understand why retailers do not wish to give away their trade secrets...but this is frustrating for the technically interested.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Russ,

Recently, I think last week, there was a thread about rear suspension and AEON springs, which set me thinking about the AEONS I bought some time ago, from either Sue Miller or Spyder.

On inspection, there is nothing on them to indicate they are the correct thing, as there is nothing on them at all. A friend has lent me a second hand pair, that have AEON moulded into them, and the number 505. A Google search indicates that Timbren in North America now own that name. Today I spoke to the UK agent of Timbren who told me that Timbren do not make anything that small, but suggested another UK company Hallite who may be able to help. I received an e-mail response from Hallite this evening asking how many I want. I will try and have a phone conversation with Hallite tomorrow and let you know what Hallite can offer.

I will try and compare the second hand AEONS with the replicas I have, although I am doubtful if second hand compared to new replica means much.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:21 am

Hi Rus,
I am pretty sure that Rohan uses a metric sized rear spring and perch (70mm ?). This allows him to use the original Aeon rubber spring.
Perhaps he will read this thread, and comment.
Cheers ,
Colin.

quote="CBUEB1771"]Does anyone have the load v. deflection curve for the Aeon rubber springs? I am considering going to smaller diameter rear springs with an adjustable lower perch. However I don't want to do this without duplicating the rising rate characteristic provided by the Aeon springs. I have done a quick search here with no luck. I downloaded the current Timbren-Aeon catalogue and the data are available on request. I am not sure at this point if the springs used by Lotus are in the current range of offerings from Timbren.[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Russ,

I have not found anyone to talk to at Hallite today, will try again tomorrow.

Vibration Isolation Products in Leicestershire show AEON type rubber springs on their web site. They can supply replica springs for ?8.42 each but need an order for 50 and a lead time of 8-10 weeks. They also offer "the real thing" for ?42 each with a 1 week lead time. When I enquired about the real thing it appears to be a better replica. I could not find any information on spring rate. They promise to speak to me again next week with more information.

I have taken the Aeon replicas off my car and compared to the second hand originals. I have done this using a drill press with a spring balance on the lever. Now I have the replicas off my car there is some information moulded into the top face. Which says BETAGU which I think is the manufacturers name and H followed by the Roman 2 then A 2045.

Both my BETAGU springs needed 22lb on the spring balance for one inch of deflection. The old Aeons needed 14lb and 18lb for one inch of deflection.

Although both Aeons look fine they are cracked, and the cracks become apparent when loaded. I will see if I can convert these spring balance reading into an actual load on the spring.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Russ,

I have converted my Spring balance readings to rubber spring loads my BETAGUs require 121lb for one inch of deflection.

The old aeons require 99lb and 77lb for one inch of deflection, but they are cracked.

Hallite tell me that they are the UK manufacturers of aeon, and will send me data. The minimum order is for 5 at ?59.59 each. 10 would would be ?36 each. The price deminishes the more we buy.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: