Bolt on rear hubs

PostPost by: Plus2cabby » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Help needed

One of my bolt on rear hubs has worn "sloppy" and will not seat on the taper anymore

Does anyone have a spare for sale ?
Or even a pair?
On the plus 2 I needed a 8 mm spacer , for wheel to clear spring platform - less than ideal, somdoes anyone manufacture a hub with different offset ?
Or a drawing so I could have some made ? Either standard or modified offset

Many thanks

Mark
Plus2cabby
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:12 am

Tony Thompson and kelvedon both sell machined rear hubs that are not cast iron. Very nice and not too spendy
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

Plus2cabby wrote:Help needed

On the plus 2 I needed a 8 mm spacer , for wheel to clear spring platform - less than ideal, somdoes anyone manufacture a hub with different offset ?

Many thanks

Mark

Mark, Plus 2 rear hubs were made wider and were also not bolt on but knock on. You have two seater hubs fitted.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 am

Plus2cabby wrote:Help needed

One of my bolt on rear hubs has worn "sloppy" and will not seat on the taper anymore

Does anyone have a spare for sale ?
Or even a pair?
Or a drawing so I could have some made ? Either standard or modified offset

Many thanks

Mark

Mark

Your use of the term 'worn sloppy' gives cause for caution. The fit between the hub and the shaft is a non moving joint so is not subject to wear.

If the car has been driven with the nut not correctly tightened and wear has taken place on the tapered mating surfaces then really both should be replaced. Depending on how bad the shaft damage is it might be possible to 'lap' a new hub to fit it but it needs to be done with knowledge and great care if the new hub is not to become scrap!

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

The original cast iron bolt on rear hubs tend to bell out at the ends overtime and losing fit on the full length of the taper. Especially with heavy loads such as racing or potentially on a Plus 2 with spacers.

While it is possible with a lot lapping with valve grinding paste to get the fit back again this moves the hub inwards until it hits the bearing or the housing ( been there done that, then machined a bit of the back of the hub for clearance ).

The steel hubs now available seem to last better under high loads so far for me.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 am

Mark,
PM sent; I have a full set of Plus 2 hubs at a good price if you want to get back to the correct knock off's.

Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: