Brake lights stopped working

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:04 am

Hi all,

Both my brake lights packed up yesterday. I assume (though I haven't actually checked yet if this is the case) that both bulbs *haven't* gone simultaneously and that the problem is most likely with the switch. I don't have a manual at the moment, but I've had a dig and there is what looks like a brake light switch about where I've drawn the red box on the attached photo (just out of sight, but if you're familiar with the +2S engine bay you'll know what I mean) which appears to tap in to the brake hydraulics through some sort of cover. Am I right?

My plan was to short this switch out, see if the brake lights come on and if they do, replace it. Also, what's the "proper" name for the part if I need to order a replacement?

Thanks,

G
Attachments
brakes.jpg and
The red box denotes the approximate location of what I *think* is the brake light switch - is this correct?
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Greg
Looks the same as mine,switch screws into pedal box and actuates on the end of the brake pedal,yes,just short it out and check for light...you can take these apart if you're handy-andy and fettle it...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg.harvey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Ahhh, thanks John! That "cover" is the pedal box, eh? Figures, I s'pose, as the clutch fluid reservoir goes in to it too - as you can tell, I'm not hugely au fait with engines, but I'm getting better! ;)

My dad reckoned the switch would work with the pressure in the hydraulics, but if I read your post right this isn't the case - it's a simple push-to-make switch (or rather, pull-to-make, considering the direction of the pedal action and the location of the switch) on the hidden end of the brake pedal? If so, I guess that makes fiddling with it much simpler - no risk of getting air in the brake fluid, etc... :)

Cheers,

G
Greg
+2S 130/5 Elan <== FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested...
Epping, Essex, UK

Classic Motoring Blog
http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/
greg.harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Yep,spring loaded plunger central to switch follows top of brake pedal as it moves,making contacts......

Good luck
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:51 pm

That's really interesting, as the brake light switch in my '65 S2 is hydraulic. Go figure!!! :?
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Ah,that may be because this is a much later +2 ?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Before fettling or messing with the brake light switch I would head to the boot and just check you haven't pulled out the bullet connector feed as I do that regularly when putting spare wheel in and out of boot. Even more annoying if that it can look like its fully pushed in but still not contacting. So worth just a quick check with a multimeter at the rear before messing forward.
Cheers
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Actually, it had occurred to me that the mechanical contact switch smacked of a much earlier technology :wink:
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Yes,but which would you prefer,a brakelight that came on as soon as you touch the pedal,or,one which came on as soon as the hydraulic lines reached xxpsi,or are we splitting hairs here?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 am

Well how about having both, the mechanical one to switch the lights on and the hydraulic one to switch them off when the system realises that there is no hydraulic pressure and you are not slowing down. Perhaps with the addition of a relay or two it could also turn on the flashers and start sounding the horn to warn other road users of the impending doom! :lol:
Andy
PS Yes I admit brakes are starting to get to me.
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:16 am

Incidentally, the switch seems to be the same as that used in the old mini - they're quite easy to get hold of...

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:53 am

Going slightly off thread a little,but are any cars fitted with "decelerometer-type" switches-not patented this idea yet-that slowly flash or dimly light the brake lights when slowing and flash fast or bright when stamping on the pedal???

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 am

John,

I think Handi_andi has the right idea - the more the merrier :D

Doesn't Mercedes have a system such as you describe> I think I read about it somewhere. Or perhaps it's still in the prototype stage.
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:49 am

My parents tell a story from the 1960s about following an American car through Norwich in the fog and the more it braked the more brake lights came on, so it has been tried but don't think it caught on probably due to complexity and being extremely annoying and distracting to follow which is why 40 years later I still hear the story about it.

If you swapped over to electric power with retard braking then the heavier the braking the more power generated and therefore the brighter the brake lights would be! Just a thought :lol:

By the way, back on topic, at least for a moment, has anyone actually known a brake switch go wrong or should we be pointing our friend in another direction like the bullet connectors or the fuse boxes etc?

Cheers

Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 pm

I've had a couple of them self-destruct - the last time it happened was on the way to have the car MOT'd. The switch simply fell apart. Fortunately there was a Rover dealer nearby and they had a replacement in stock.

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: