Damper / Shockabsorber question

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi All,
I have a question about shock absorbers. I appreciate that on a set of new shocks, if you press them down, there should be a significant effort to get them to bottom out. (Provided they are good).
However, my question is: what is the expected return rate? Fast or slow?
I have two new dampers, both have similar resistance to me pushing them all the way down, but one comes up fast, and one very slow, I'm not even sure if that the slow one comes fully up to the top.
Is one faulty? If so, what one?

All helpgratefully recieved.
Jeff 72 +2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi Jeff, dampers usually compress easier than they extend. I would suggest the one that extends easily is faulty.
Are they new old stock or currently new? Can they be returned? Cheers, Lyn...
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Lyn,
they are new.... so not sure why I get the difference. They both compress the same, although not as stiff as I expected.
Many years ago I bought some Koni's from one of the usual suspects. They did'nt beleve me when I told them that one damper went down so easily it could have been mistaken for one that had done 200 thousand miles.

They were replaced (eventually) with a matching pair.
I just cant remember what the rebound rate was like.......
Regards
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 am

I seem to remember being told that if dampers have been stored on their sides they may need some strenuous pumping action to restore operation. (This would naturally happen on the road I imagine). Worth a try, good excercise and costs nothing!
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: