Drive Pegs

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Are the drive pegs pressed in from the front or back of the hub , or does it make no difference?

Assuming they are the later straight type.

thanks for advice

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 am

I have pressed (hammered really) later type pegs from the wheel side of the hub on the track after some wandering wheel nut episode (hub thread should not be greased, do not let "professionals" do it even if adamant...)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am

I had understood that the wheel nut was self tightening - hence the 'handed' design with threads on one side of the car right handed, and on the other side of the car left handed.

I have seen a description of how this works - although I can't now find a link, it was like an epicyclic gear where any fretting caused the nut to tighten.

I have always lubricated the thread on the nut and have not had loosening issues either on my road ?lan with steel wheels or the car I raced with alloy wheels.

Is it possible the hubs have been fitted to the wrong side of the car?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 pm

maybe I accelerate too much... braking tighten the nut, it did not happen to the front where torque only goes one way.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat May 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Concrete-crusher wrote:Are the drive pegs pressed in from the front or back of the hub , or does it make no difference?

Assuming they are the later straight type.

thanks for advice

Steve

They are tapered (or at least rounded on outside edge) so insert "pointy" end into hole from backside of wheel and hammer/drift away to flush.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat May 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I used a G/C clamp and a socket to press one back in on the left rear hub. Worried about stressing the hub by hammering and didn't want to go to the trouble of taking the hub off and using the hydraulic press.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:27 am

prezoom wrote:I used a G/C clamp and a socket to press one back in on the left rear hub. Worried about stressing the hub by hammering and didn't want to go to the trouble of taking the hub off and using the hydraulic press.

Exactly.
On the odd occasion I've had a peg move I've squeezed it back into place with a "G" clamp, a small piece of steel as a pusher, and a suitably sized socket.
Never felt comfortable with the idea of smacking away with a hammer as I knew, with my luck, a bit would fall off the hub......

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: