3 Eared Spinner Tool

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Can anyone tell me what happened to Spinitoff Ltd? Their web site does not seem to exist, and the phone does not answer. Have they ceased trading?

Alternatively, did anyone buy one of these that I could copy if I cannot purchase?

I remember seeing this tool demonstrated, and it seemed excellent. Does anyone have any experience of it, good or bad?

All 3 eared spinner tool references lead me to Sarto, I thought Spinitoff was better.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Some recent discussion and a pic. under "Wheel Nut".

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sprint4dm » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:36 pm

there is one for sale on ebay at the moment, under lotus elan car parts, sorry I couldn't make the link work.

cheers
Dave
Lotus Elan Sprint
sprint4dm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am

Bob,
You mention a recent discussion under "wheel nut".

Could you be more precise please, as I am unable to find anything.

Thanks,
Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi Richard,

It's currently 3rd in the list under Suspension/steering/brakes/.........
Sorry for the delayed reply.

Did you buy the one on ebay?

I have made my own; needed to get the wheel back on. I don't want to put it on general view because it looks crude/messy at the moment. I just made it out of what I had in my garage - rusty mild steel plate, hex. bar, bolts and PTFE to protect the spinner. I will cut the plate to a more pleasing shape, clean it up and paint it and will keep it since it works really well. Give me an e-mail address and I'll send pics if you want.

Regards,

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Bob,
I think I have sent you a private message with my e-mail address, but it has not appeared in my sent box. Please let me know if you have not received anything.

Richard
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm

For those who want a nice piece of kit, I just bought one of those:

http://www.oldtimerkennzeichen.de/werkz ... n-only.php

They have one left, they told me that this is US-sourced, but there seems to be a patent on this and therefore they sell them of.
No connection no nothing, other than I am a customer...
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm

gherlt wrote:For those who want a nice piece of kit, I just bought one of those:

http://www.oldtimerkennzeichen.de/werkz ... n-only.php

They have one left, they told me that this is US-sourced, but there seems to be a patent on this and therefore they sell them of.
No connection no nothing, other than I am a customer...

That looks like Sarto's tool to me........(mac5777)
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks for the heads up, I think I have nabbed the last one.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:26 am

Hello all, it has been awhile since I've logged in and noticed the spinner tool questions. I have also tried to contact Ian and Richard at Spinitoff with no results. To bring everyone up to speed, I have finished a new run of knockoff Elan tools with a twist.
The tool now comes as a kit with a high impact socket, a rubber wheel wedge and a bag to keep the kit with the car.
Many have told me that the wheels need to be blocked when you use a breaker bar or a torque wrench because of the added leverage. When you use a hammer on the spinner, the wheel will not spin.
To remove a wheel you first loosen the spinner then jack the car up to remove the spinner, then the wheel. Make the repair or what ever, replace the wheel, then finger tighten the spinner. To tighten the spinner you let the jack down to put weight back on the wheel before fully tightening the spinner.
By using my rubber wheel wedge, you can jack the car up and use the wedge to keep the wheel from spinning when removing or installing the spinners without putting weight on the wheels and seating them evenly. Without weight on the wheels you can apply even torque of the spinner to the hub.
Jaguar guys have told me that they drive the car a short distance, then re-tighten the spinners just to make sure that the spinners are seated properly.
The rubber wedge is small enough to keep in the bag and not have to carry a 4x4 block of wood around.
The oldtimer tool picture, shows my car and tool.

Sarto
http://knockoffspinnertool.com
Attachments
DSC00003.JPG and
DSC00004.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: