Elan brake upgrade

PostPost by: mcclelland » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:35 am

I have recently read topics on the forum relating to upgrading brakes and wonder can anyone please answer what may seem a daft question.
I have a 1968 Lotus Elan S4 with no servo fitted, I was going to fit a new servo, but then I read about using the Plus 2 calipers and discs which seems to me a far better idea.
My question is can I just swap the complete hub assemblies around and save on the grinding of the dust plate and drive pegs?? Will it just swap over??
Thans to all out there for any advice...George...
George McC.
1968 S4 Elan dhc.(now sold)
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:40 pm

You could, but if your existing upright is ok then all you need is the mounting plate and caliper, the whole swap takes about 30 minutes a side tops.

No idea why you should need to do anything to the drive pegs, they are all the same size.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:08 pm

I agree with the last post, you just need the +2 caliper mounting plates. You can leave the shield plates off.
I did this job myself a couple of years ago.
The braking performance was improved. I had removed the vacuum unit in order to find more room for a better radiator.
New disks, pads & reconditioned used calipers cost me around ?250.
I now regret doing the job that way.
The braking performance can be very much more improved by using one of the 4 pot conversions offered for Caterham 7's.
Costs a bit more but you get great brakes with reduced unsprung weight using alloy calipers as opposed to the very much heavier +2 iron calipers & all of the parts are new :wink:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:43 pm

If you leave off the dust shield you will not need to trim it, adds lightness and improves cooling 8)

The clearance between the +2 caliper and the hub is a bit tight. It depends on what type of studs are fitted to the hub whether you will need to grind them back a bit. I don't know why you are worried about the grinding bit :? It is only 5 mins extra work and any self respecting DIY mechanic should have an angle grinder in their toolbox :wink:

BTW Do tell us more about the Caterham option. I have only been able to find Hispec and Wilwood 4 pot conversions here.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:20 pm

Hispec has a Caterham option in both 2 pot and 4 pot calipers. At less than 1kg (sometimes substantially less) they look even lighter than the Girling AR.

http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/ul4_caterham_lug.htm

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mcclelland » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Thanks for the replies so far> If I was to go for the Caterem calipers would I use them with the Elan or the plus 2 disc setup?? Ta, george...
George McC.
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 pm

They claim that their calipers will fit larger discs than other brands. Since +2 discs fit the Elan wheel, that should be no problem.

Probably best to email them to get their recommendation, though.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:00 am

While we're on the subject of brakes, I'm looking to replace the front rotors on my S4. If anyone is considering upgrading, I would be interested in their standard rotors assuming that they are in good shape. Otherwise, can anyone tell me if all Spitfire rotors would make suitable replacements, or are there specific year Spitfires that I should be looking for? If I knew this, I could go down to my local parts supplier and order a pair. Thanks.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mct340 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:27 pm

Has anyone tried fitting the HiSpec calipers to a standard Elan (ie no plus two rotors or brackets)?
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mcclelland » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Thanks to all for the replies and the help, Ive now just got to decide which way to go. to all a very merry Xmas, George...
George McC.
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paros » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:20 pm

Just to be a pessimist - I tried Plus 2 barkes on my S4 Elan and it unbalanced the cars braking terribly! Too much front brake and no rear.
Use the correct pads with the S4 brakes and you can outbrake anything! Seriously you can, and without a servo and reasonable pressures on the pedal.
Modern friction materials need so much less barke effrt than 1968 era
Richard
paros
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:55 pm

I imagine the reason for using +2 brakes is to get increased pad area so that they don't overheat & fade so quickly with the prolonged heavy braking encountered with track use? I agree that the originals are well matched to the car and provide perfect balance on the road.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:06 pm

I am getting close to doing the brakes on my S4.

Richard - which is the "right" pad material?

The other alternatives include either ...

Fit a servo - goes against the Lotus "lightness", will probably reduce pedal feel, the nose is cramped enough as it is!

Go the aftermarket 4 pot caliper route. Any idea how much they cost? By the time I get mine rebuilt (especially as I have broken bleed nipple in one) it may go a good part of the way to buying new ones

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paros » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Sorry not to have replied earlier about 'correct pad materail' but moving house and country!
Anyway
pad materail has moved on since the 60's as anyone who ever used DS11 will know!
I happen to use Mintex pads - although Mintex now make pads for many big names so the pads could be turning up as another big companies products.
Talk with Questmead at Rochdale. I suspect 1144 is being replaced and if so there will be a superb material - I use F4 BUT if you don't use it hard it abrades and produces dust and rapid pad wear.
I am meeting Mintex next week to dicuss so if in doubt try me in a weeks time
Richard
paros
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I now have some further information on the Caterham 4 Pot conversion that will fit the Elan & quote below:-

"The kit was a Wilwood 4 pot Powerlite kit with 265x12mm solid disc for Triumph based caterham 7 . It cost just ?314 inc vat (1 year ago)

I bought it at Rally Design LTD , (tel 01795 531871)
It is complete with alloy mounting blocks which mount direct to the Triumph 3.25" mountings, it does not have clearance problems with standard hubs, mine do not have dust seals but this has not been any problem even with road use I think a sealed version is now
availiable.
The only extra parts needed were pads & adaptors for the brake hoses"

Who will be the first brave man to take the plunge :lol: ?
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: