69 Elan S4 SE Federal Brake Master Cylinder

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 am

In the process of a complete renovation of my 69 S4 Federal Elan. I pulled the clutch and brake master cylinders with hopes of rebuilding them with new seals, if the bores check out OK. However, I have had no luck in getting the pistons out of either one. After removing the circlip, the unit I believe is supposed to pop out. But, they are both stuck as if there is still something holding them in. Tried tapping on the bodies and using compressed air in the line openings. No luck so far. Am I missing something? Also, perhaps this is an indication that the units may indeed be shot?

I think a new clutch master may be easy to source. But the brake master is the tandem unit which seems to be obsolete and rare. Alternative solutions for a tandem unit all seem to have the brake line connections on the wrong side for a LHD car.

Any suggestions with respect to getting the pistons out of my original units and/or sourcing a new tandem brake master?
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:20 am

to remove the piston(s) from the master cylinder you need to remove what is called the "tipping valve" in Girling documentation. On mine (SN #64068928) I twisted the plastic reservoir to the side after undoing the 2 crux screws, then you access the rear inlet : a large hex allen key will be needed to undo the "tipping valve securing nut", then the "tipping valve" should just go if not held due to the springs pushing a piston against it (I leave the circlip in place till the tipping valve is out to avoid that). If one or both pistons are still stuck you may use some compressed air to the front inlet for pushing them out (watch out where they will spring... esp. the small parts).

girling-tandem-master-cylinder-64068928-.jpg and
Girling tandem master cylinder kit descrpition
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks very much, "nmauduit". Your information was exactly what I needed. Amazing I couldn't find it anywhere else.

I now have the pistons out of both the brake and clutch master cylinders. The bores look quite good, consistent with the fact that they were still working well with no leaking when I pumped the clutch and brake systems out.

So going to rebuild both. Able to get the tandem rebuild kit here in USA. I have been getting over confident that "everything" could be found and replaced as I go through the various systems on the car. The tandem brake master cylinder being a non-domestic part apparently only used outside of the UK was a case in point. Not available.

BTW: There is a tandem unit (correct part number) on Ebay from a seller in Los Angeles. Would have to use an existing rod as the unit is for a Cortina. But, the item (NOS) will be shipped by the seller's cousin from Beirut, Lebanon !! Looks legitimate and not a scam.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: