Front Suspension Overhaul-Elan S3

PostPost by: nico506 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi
I am replacing the front shocks of my elan to bottom platform adjustable koni shocks and purchased the shock absorber units and springs separately.

Does anyone have a small diameter spring compressor tool that I can borrow or hire.

I live in Leicestershire , UK

Many thanks in advance for help

Cheers

Nico
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:10 pm

You could try a mototcycle suspension shop to mount your springs. The small spring size is consistent with most sport bike set ups.
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:01 am

I'm not sure how others compress their front springs but I have made a couple of steel plate brackets.
The lower one bolts through the bottom damper eye & protects the roll bar stud. This assembly permits the damper to swing & rests on the floor. The second bracked I rawlplug to a wall at a suitable height. This acts as a fulcrum for two longish steel tubes. The tubes run along the side of the spring damper unit & are attached to the upper part of the spring by hooks made from strip steel, one end bent to suit the spring diameter the other to suit the tubing.
By pushing down on the ends of the tubes simultaneously I can control the compression of the spring very well.
I've tried other ways to compress those springs & have always ended up frightening myself.
They need to be compressed a long way; probably beyond the scope of commercial compressors.
During compression the springs buckle in any direction they choose to; that's the frightening bit.

It'd be interesting to read how others do the job :D

Oh & I wish you the best of luck :roll:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Nico
When I re assembled my front shocks I compressed the spring by fitting the shock complete with un compressed spring between the chuck and tail stock on my lathe. I then simply wound out the tailstock until i could fit the collets in at the top of the shock. Carefull adjustment of the three jaw chuck allowed me to fit the collets between the jaws.

On the shocks I used I could unscrew the stud that forms the anti roll bar mounting.

I live in Solihull and if you would care to pop over we could possibly re assemble the shocks on a couple of hours.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:51 pm

Bloomin' 'eck Andy that's one great Lathe with that amount of Tailstock movement.
Mine only does about 2" :cry:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:30 pm

For what it is worth here is a picture of the front spring compressor I made up. Top end plate hole sized to clear the top spring retainer and counterbored to locate the end of the spring, bottom plate bored to allow the S/A to drop through and locate on its lower spring register. The two plates are are drawn together with nuts on the 10mm studding located at the corners of the plates compressing the spring until the top retainer can be dropped over its register. Undo the nuts to allow the spring to expand into position.
Tedious work with all the screwing (no sniggers now) but the spring is securely held all the times within what amounts to a strong cage.
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG and
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:23 am

That looks a lot less scary than my effort with only 2 lengths of studding.
You've got the spring caged. :lol:
Just a thought. If you welded the nuts at one end to the plate & at the other end to the studs you could run them down quite quickly with an electric drill?
Tidy piece of kit though.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:41 pm

John

The tailstock has about 6 - 7 inches travel. I could only use for the front springs. The bed isn't long enough for the rear struts. I aslo suspect that it only worked on my front shochs as they have an adjustable seat whichI moved to the lowest position for assembly.

I used the same method when replacing springs on my mx-5 (I don't know if I should mentio that vehicle here.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:01 am

6" to 7" of tailstock movement is most enviable.
Now wait for the comments :D
Nevertheless I'm happy to cope with my "Toy" lathe even though it would never do that job.
I think the rear strut springs are far easier to assemble than the fronts; bundles of energy just waiting to attack the unwary, especially the ?pyder springs.
MX-5 a great little car IMHO. I never understood why it got it's hairdresser image. A super sports car at a very reasonable price & a real alternative to an Elan, I think.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: