Lotocone mounts on Spyder chassis

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am

I'm posting this in the hope it may prevent someone from making the same stupid mistake that I've made.

On the Lotus chassis the orientation of the lotocone is determined by the position of the mounting bolt holes in each rear turret such that the voids in the rubber of the mount are fore/aft as shown in Gary's photo from this topic....elan-f14/how-access-the-locatones-mounting-bolts-t26480-15.html
lotocone nuts are welded in place.JPG
Two mounting holes
lotocone nuts are welded in place.JPG (26.11 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

On the Spyder remanufactured chassis there are 4 mounting holes on each turret - not sure why that is - so there are two possible ways to fit the lotocone. I just checked mine and I've got them the wrong way round with the voids left/right :oops: I'm not sure what effect this will have on the suspension or the life of the mount but it's clearly not as designed and needs to be corrected. Yet another job to do over the winter. :roll:
Spyder space frame rear turret.jpg
Four mounting holes
Spyder space frame rear turret.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am

OK Roger, some more pictures from 25/4997 and the driving 26/4597 with the Spyder chassis installed. The first is of the original chassis from 4997 an you can't mess up because they will only install in one way.

rear of stock Elan chassis view from above.JPG and

Looks like I have installed the lotocones 16 years ago the the same as you Roger with the voids of the on the left and right opposed the standard Lotus installation of fore/aft.

Right side spyder looks like its installed wrong .JPG and

I doubt that I will notice the difference but I will change it as it may make a difference in the way I launtch the Elan off the line. :D With the small diameter springs and standard height bolt heads it won't take long :)

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Gary, I'm glad I'm not the only one I don't feel quite so stupid now :D Unfortunately I've still got the standard large diameter springs so it's not quite so straight forward for me to rectify it:cry:
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi Roger

16 years is a long time ago and a few builds have happened since, I'll check the white Coupe and see how I did that one.

spherical bearing strut top mount - hard to get wrong.JPG and

I may have been thinking that I wanted some more negative camber in the corners so thats how I installed it. Like I said 16 years is a long time and memories are short today, even when looking at pictures sometimes it just doesn't jog the loose bits of the gray matter that it should. At least I got both sides installed the same :D

left side spyder looks like its installed wrong .JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: