To Minilite or not...

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:53 pm

My tyres are near the end of their life and I am considering a set of 14" Minilites. The reason for this is quite prosaic - the existing alloys do not like British winters (or summers for that matter), and now look very scabby, even after a full refurb four years ago. I spoke to PM who said the Lotus alloys (even the new ones) will not last long on the road - I think it is the clear laquer that always seems to fail. The Minilites appear to be very resistant to corrosion and allow a wider choice of tyre. As Christmas approaches, I need to send a letter to Santa specifying the wheels and tyres to ask for (assuming I've been good).

This leads to a choice of tyre for these. Spyder suggest Yokos, but to be honest I am more interested in good all round performance than ultimate grip in the dry. To keep the rolling circumference as close as possible to the originals I am considering 185/65 14" tyres. For interest, there is a useful website for working this out is attached -

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

Do any members have experience of different tyre types with these wheels that you wish to share?

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi Jeremy
Dont have alloy wheels that are lacquered. I speak from experience they are lots of trouble. The lacquer is OK untill you get a small perferation and then the water/salt attacks it and works its way underneath blistering up the lacquer and it looks awful.
One solution is to not have lacquer and just keep them regularly washed during the winter and apply a protective coating WD40 (or better) on them. If a bit of corrosion does appear very fine wet and dry will remove it.
Alternative is get them painted.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:10 pm

Jeremy

175/70 R14 wil be closer to the actual rolling diameter of 165 R 13, the original fitment than 185/65 R14. The original tyres were 82% aspect ratio, not 80% as is commonly thought.

I fitted 175/70 R14 dunlop sport 200 to my minilites and have had no concerns at all. With the thinner tyre it looks more original ( if thats what you are seeking) than a lower profile. The dunlops I fittted had a more traditional looking tread pattern too - though I believe now the tread on the current sport 200 has a big wide circumfrential central groove.

Grip was slightly improved over std wheels and tyres but that could be due to age wear of old tyres rather than any great actual difference.
The ride and handling difference was hardly noticable - maybe slightly firmer/ harsher but not so you'd really notice.
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Jeremy,

I put a set of Spyder supplied Two Gates Minilite copies on my Plus 2 eight years ago. I put Yokohama A520 185/60/14 tyres on them. Now, over 30,000 miles (!) down the road the tyres are on the legal limit. The wheels are still in reasonably good condition, with just some flaking on the rim area, worst on the fronts and minimal on the rears. So I'm happy with them, and the Yokos are very good.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:54 am

Just a comment on Seans wheels.

I have a +2 with Lotus Alloys.....

In my humble opinion Seans Minilites an the lower profile tyres look 'right' compared to the original.

Or, to overuse the expression 'If Colin Chapman was about these days he'd probably have used the same solution as Sean'...

Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dave_Newcastle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Jeremy

Pic with 175/70 R14 - it might help?
Attachments
lotus elan.jpg and
Dave_Newcastle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm

Or you could track down a set of 14 inch Revolutions...very strong, simple design, and I think they look superb with the original satin black 'spokes'...the gold looks a little OTT to me
Mark.
Attachments
zrevolutions.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Midlife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm

How about a set of revolution minitors... 13". I think they look superb on the elan. The revolites are also good (the pic above) you can get differant colours on the 4 spoke...
Midlife
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: