MOT and steering rack play

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:14 am

Today I got my Elan Mot'd successfully but for one advisory. The nearside steering rack arm appears to have some play when the road wheel is rocked horizontally. This play is not at all noticeable when driving the car. Is this likely to be wear in the rack ball joint/cup washer as the track rod end is new. Can this type of repair and adjustment be carried out with the rack in situ? Many thanks for any help or advice.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 am

Since it's easy to take the rack out, why struggle? Much better to work on the bench.

By the way, the "steering rack arm" is called a track rod.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Are you sure it's the rack and not the end float in the wheel bearing which is a favorite for the MOT testers
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:24 pm

My guess is that its the sleeve bearing the end of the rack that is worn allowing the end of the rack to move

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. It is definetly not the wheel bearing as their is no play in that. I will strip the rack and check the sleeve bearing as Rohan has suggested.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi William2,

There should be a trace of play in the front wheel bearings - say 1mm or so rock at the edge of the wheel, or more exactly 4 thou of end float. if you have no play at all the bearings could overheat and wear rapidly.

Mind you, not all MOT testers understand that....

I had a worn bush in the same way as Rohan described and I did get the same symptoms. It's not that tricky to change.

Cheers,

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: