Plastic steering wheel covering starting to split

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:35 am

Just noticed today on first drive out this spring that the plastic outer rim cover on my steering wheel is starting to split at the outside diameter seam. Does anyone have any experience of what to do to stop it getting any worse. Is it worth trying to do something now before it is too late like just apply some glue and let it set? If so any ideas what type of glue?
I realise I could get it recovered when it gets really bad but would like to keep the original plastic on there while I can.
Thanks.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

If the seam stitching itself is broken you could simply resew it back together.

If the plastic itself has a split, you could stop the crack spreading by burning a small hole in each end of the crack with a soldering iron, or heated metal rod.

I have had some success with flexible clear epoxy filler applied over the crack, after degreasing the crack with meths. I built up the filler to 1mm depth over the crack and smoothed it down to nothing 6-7 mm away. Then when cured I carefully sanded it as smooth as possible with 600 grit wet and dry. If the crack is small it wont look too bad and you wont catch the crack with your hands. Applying same black paint into the crack and the small holes before the filler might improve the final appearance.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 pm

I'd try a black silicone and tape it up until it sets then trim once dry.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Black Sikaflex carefully applied to get Under, between and over the crack and then smoothed off with a gobby fingertip when it has semi-cured.

Sticks like **** to a blanket.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Sikaflex, Puraflex or any black polyurethane adhesive will be OK, try and get any grease or oils out of the crack before applying.
Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 am

OP - if you are going to try this how about talking some macro before during and after photos and post them up?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 am

The sealant/ adhesive approach is worth a try, but I am not sure how it will stand up to hand contact/rubbing if it's on the outside rim. You could give it a try and then go for something else later.

Epoxy resin is difficult to remove (could be a good thing) so you might try that if all else fails.

Good luck and let's see some pics!

PS: It's b****y windy here in Writtle - come on spring!

Dave Chapman
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:41 am

Dave, its bleedin' windy just up the road in Dunmow too!

The splits are almost always on the inside of the rims, where the original welding was done by Springall's using the tear seal high frequency plastics welding method, which is now apparently illegal due to interference with airplane radios or some such!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:49 am

Ok thanks everyone for the info. I'll look into the different adhesives:
flexible clear epoxy filler,
black silicone, (do you mean just bath/shower type sealer)
Sikaflex,
Puraflex,
any black polyurethane adhesive.
I will only need a few grams as the split is quite small. So is a shame to have to buy a massive tube. Will see what I can find.
I'll apply the adhesive then tape over it to close the split while it is setting. I'll take some photos and report back.
Cheers.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:35 am

Keith,

did you ever get around to completing the repair on your steering wheel as I have the same problem with mine which has a couple of splits which I would like to tidy up.
I've used Sikaflex on my M100 Elan and that stuff does stick like nothing else on this earth so having read the various posts was looking at that option but interested to see what option you took and what results you obtained
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 am

Hi Rob.
No I didn't actually go any further with mine. There is still the split there but I haven't done anything further with it. On further examination it a weird bit of damage. I don't know how it happened but I might be able to guess. It is a cut in the outside surface looking very much like the shape of a fingernail. I can only guess I must have gripped the wheel too tight and dug a nail in when pushing the car around or something. I cant remember doing so and no one else (to my knowledge) drives it. Might have been the kids playing in there and dug something in, Who knows, very strange. Anyway since it is this shape I don't think the split will continue to grow unlike if it were a split along the seam on the inside of the wheel as mentioned above. I could see how this would just get worse and worse and would need arresting as soon as it was noticed. So I can only suggest the advice given by others above (I was going to try to find some black polyurethane adhesive) and likewise please report back here with your success (or otherwise) story.
Sorry I cant be of anymore help.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:04 pm

send it to Mr Chandler :D
Attachments
Interior.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear