Plus 2 adjustable rear suspension sanity check

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I just stripped my rear suspension for rebuild as follows (car bought part restored in bits)

Tony Thompson drive shaft (bought by previous owner)
Tony Thompson strut insert TTR bespoke unit . Specially valved to suit the Plus 2 (about to order)
T. Thompson Platform thread kit 2.25 inch I.D for narrow springs (about to order)
T.Thompson Springs Fast Road 120lbs (about to order)

Two question - will these struts limit suspension travel to ensure the drive shaft uj do not bind when car is jacked? Are 120lbs springs right for road car? Any other comments?

I should say that TT said these parts would do what I wanted but I just was not 100% convinced by his answer.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Plus 2 do not have the same CV binding issue as the 2 seaters (due to wider track), you should be OK.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

With the standard suspension set up I have just removed from mine did. As I rotated the wheel when jacked there were two points (within a rotation) where I could feel it binding
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 pm

NYK wrote:I just stripped my rear suspension for rebuild as follows (car bought part restored in bits)

T.Thompson Springs Fast Road 120lbs (about to order)

Are 120lbs springs right for road car? Any other comments?

I should say that TT said these parts would do what I wanted but I just was not 100% convinced by his answer.

If you are going to 120lbs rear springs, you should have an equivalent uprate on the front springs, or undesireable pitching and other effects may occur.

I'd say around 160 fronts would be in the ballpark, but TT should be able to advise best match for his springs. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 pm

I bought to TT comfort spring/damper for the front but no idea what rate they are, guess I?ll have to talk to them again. It seems odd they don?t state what rates their springs are, not very convincing!
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: