Plus 2 suspension/brake rebuild problem No. 1

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Managed to get the rebuilt suspension and braking system on recently purchased Plus 2 today and have been advised of some problems - here is No.1 and hoping for advice on resolution.

I am advised that 'spacers' have not been fitted where the spring/damper fits the lower wishbones (photo2) and consequently the bushes at the other end of the wishbone arms are being pushed out (photo1). Can anyone advise including on what 'spacers' are missing?

Thanks

David
Attachments
IMG_1615.jpg and
IMG_1614.jpg and
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Penny washers go between the bushing & the nut so the wishbone cannot go over the nut.

Do a search it's covered here somewhere... RDent part diagrams will show then too...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks - I take it that is a washer between the bush and nut. I have checked diagrams and that looks perfect.

Any ideas about the advice to fit spacers between damper and inner edge of wishbone? Can't see those on diagrams!! Apparently the absence of them aslo makes the damper touch the wishbone edge (this is just visible in photo).

Thanks again.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 pm

The width of the damper bottom bush should be the same as the assembled trunnion width. This should also then position the other end of the wishbones so they fit correctly on the spindle on the chassis and don't try to push the bushes out.

Are both the wishbone chassis bushes trying to push out showing the wishbone is to narrow at the chassis end or only one pushing out and the other one pushing in showing just that the wishbone is not centred?

I have not needed to use washers on the damper bottom bush to wishbone. However If your aftermarket damper bottom bush is to small in width then you may need to use washers. The other thing to check is that the trunnion is assembled correctly and that the inner tube of the trunnion is clamped correctly between the wishbones

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am

Hi David,
Maybe it's me or the photo but something doesn't look quite right.
Looking at the photo is that the rubber of the bush between the washer and the wishbone?
Have you replaced the wishbone bushes?
The bush should fit onto the spindle and butt up against a stop, this gives clearance between the wishbone and the chassis. There doesn't seem to be any clearance in the photo. To me, and what do I know, it appears that the bush is either worn or incorrectly fitted.
Just my opinion.
Regards Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks - the bushes have been replaced (by someone else) - think I might get a new set and washers and get the job done.

The dampers are TTR and new (again someone else!) and don't think need anything other than a straight fit with washers on the outside of wishbone.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: