Rear caliper - how do I get the outer lever off?

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 pm

On the caliper the handbrake outer lever pivots on a pin. The same pin on which the handbrake pad pivots.

How do I get the pin out?
It seems to be inserted ino a blind hole with no obvious way to get it out.

On my baby Elan the outer clamp is damaged (it has had a lug broken off), does anyone here have a scrap rear caliper that I could salvage the clamp from?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Bruce,
There is a thread down the centre of the pin. You will need to make some kind of extractor. I think the thread is 2BA, so you need a long bolt, piece of tube and a large washer. You can then pull it out, it might need a bit of heat.
Or you could send the lot to Classic Auotmotive and let them re-condition the caliper.
Best of luck,
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 pm

The hole in the pin is probably full of dirt, mine was. I used a sliding hammer to remove the pins with a 2 BA bolt brazed on the end. I was surprised how easy the pins came out (makes a change :!: ).

The calliper and associated handbrake parts have been obsolete for some while and unless someone can come up with the part, John's suggestion ref. Classic Automotive is a good one.

Good Luck,
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Bruce

As already said the thread is 2Ba. And I recently took some calipers apart by a similar / same method as John.
I used a 2Ba caphead bolt, nut and spacer.
Clean the 2Ba pin thread out with a tap
Run the nut up the bolt, fit the spacer then screw the caphead fully into the pin ? there is a maximum ??of thread.
Use the nut to draw the pin out not the bolt. This will make sure you don?t strip the thread.
The pin is only a push fit into the caliper as it?s the handbrake pad which actually holds the pin in place.

Karls method should also work just not as subtle!

If a lug has broken off then aren?t other parts damaged? It would probably be easier to get a whole caliper ? which will still need a lot of work to make good.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 pm

You might try and give Spyder a call, They have been effectively breaking
+2's for there zetec conversions and have had complete rear calipers at Donington in the past.

Spyder Engineering Limited,
Station Road Industrial Estate, Whittlesey, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. PE7 2EY England
Tel:- +44 0 1733 203986 Fax:- +44 0 1733 350662
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info guys, a 2BA bolt with a little heat worked a treat!

Once I had the outer clamp lever off I welded on a repair piece and ground it to shape.
Really not too sure about welding onto what appears to be a casting, but it seems OK and withstood the "test" of a good whack with a 2lb hammer

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: