Rear Dampers

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm

I've been told by a normally unimpeachable source that the dampers for the Elan and the +2
are exactly the same. As in interchangeable.
Is this correct?

I'm still gathering the bits to replace my entire (and virtually new) Spyder double wishbone
rear suspenders with original struts. The rubber helper / bump stop springs (on the S/H struts I bought)
have collapsed so that the alloy spacer was inside. Is this a normal occurrence?

I'll shortly have a full Spyder rear end for sale if you are building a Zetec!

s2920005.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm

vincereynard wrote:I've been told by a normally unimpeachable source that the dampers for the Elan and the +2
are exactly the same. As in interchangeable.
Is this correct?

The part numbers in the Elan and +2 parts list are the same..

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/DA_-_Rear_Suspension
http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/DA_-_Rear_Suspension_%2B2
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm

I believe they are called "Aeon springs"..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 am

Rear dampers and the strut / hub housing are the same but springs are different on Plus 2 versus Elan. The fronts dampers and springs are different. The key difference is the angle of the roll bar attachment bolt. The spring platform location is also potentially different but I have never followed this up but it may contribute so some of the plus 2 ride height issues seen on Plus 2 fronts.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm

I have the original part number if it helps...... You might have more luck than me sourcing new even though they are still listed as being in production.

Hallite 6850500 a505

Bategu HIIA 2045

IMHO don't buy the ones Paul Matty list, i have been down that road and the ones i received were solid bump stops that just looked like Aeon springs.... so be aware if you do go that way.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:06 pm

rgh0 wrote:Rear dampers and the strut / hub housing are the same but springs are different on Plus 2 versus Elan. The fronts dampers and springs are different. The key difference is the angle of the roll bar attachment bolt. Rohan

That is a surprise that a vehicle (+2) that is considerably heavier, wider and with stronger springs should have an identical damper. Smacks of a bit of Chappers cheapskate! I wonder if they are the same with the usual modern suppliers?

Thanks Chris. I've been supplied a new pair by a member.
They say A505 on the side. (Right in original image.)

I surprised and disappointed that PMS would supply something that is that wrong.
Presumably it would act simply as a bump stop and have no effective progressive "extra" spring in it.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm

:lol: Same member supplied mine too :lol:

It's a bit of an odd one, i think most people think they are Bump stops (including me not long ago) so when they are being re-manufactured they have just made a Bump stop that looks original.

As for the Aeon springs, i have big hopes for mine...... the back end of my 2 seater has been 'sketchy' at best and after a fair bit of reading up and especially some of the posts by Rohan i've decided to pull the back apart, fit the proper Aeon springs and a pair of Col Crouchers raiser's to bring them in earlier (don't think 2 seaters came with that alloy spacer/riser the +2 is fitted with)

Regarding the rear spring thing, 'I think' the idea is to have soft rear suspension so the wheel stays on the road and the Aeon spring acts like a progressive spring rate when you load up the suspension. I found with no aeon springs and just small bump stops the back end felt unstable at any sort of speed and things like changing lanes on the dual carriageway at any other that very slow/gradual movements felt really unpleasant.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 am

If the handling is as bad to say, I would seriously consider new shocks and bushings. Helper springs alone should not be causing that.
Eric
64S1
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am

Interesting comment from Grizzly regarding the spacer/risers.

Were these indeed just fitted originally to the Elan or just the +2 ?

I have recently bought the "Aeons" from Kelvedon (I think I'll put these on a vertical drill test to see how they react first) and some old "spacers"...and was planning to try both on my Elan !
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am

Grizzly wrote: I found with no aeon springs and just small bump stops the back end felt unstable at any sort of speed and things like changing lanes on the dual carriageway at any other that very slow/gradual movements felt really unpleasant.

Are your rear dampers set too soft? If they are the car will behave as you describe.
Last edited by Mazzini on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

Grizzly wrote: I found with no aeon springs and just small bump stops the back end felt unstable at any sort of speed and things like changing lanes on the dual carriageway at any other that very slow/gradual movements felt really unpleasant.

Have you checked the rear toe in? I can't see just changing lanes would compress the suspension enough for the bumps to be brought into play.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: