Rear Wishbones Handed?

PostPost by: jbeach » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

OK, Helpful Folks:
Rebuilding my rear suspension. My rear wishbones appear identical and the parts manual lists only one part number, but I wanted to be ABSOLUTELY SURE. So, would someone please confirm my rear wishbones are not handed? Between replacing bushings, cleaning, stripping, and painting, I've lost track of which came from what side. I certainly don't want to have to install them twice!!
Many thanks!
-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 pm

It's simple. The left side is left and the right side is right! :lol:

hint = they are both EXACTLY the same...
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks so much, Ted. That was my tentative conclusion, but with a Lotus, you just never know! I will now proceed accordingly.
-John
John Beach
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 am

John
You may be able to see a slight bow in them where the wrong jacking method has been used in the past ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks John,
Amazingly, like everything on this Elan so far, the rear wishbones are laser-straight. I feel incredibly fortunate to be restoring a car that is so fundamentally sound.
Best,
John
John Beach
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

i like your approach john and try to keep that attitude BECAUSE you may run into parts or "areas" where things may not be that sound. if you still can, restore your original chassis and don't go for a spyder! sandy PS: my car was actually100% sound without any corrosion in 1981 and still is: only needed new wheels and original seats (back then!) AND got the chassis galanized!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I drive through Columbia twice a year on my way between Ohio and Florida. Let me know if you'd like some personal observation.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 am

Sandy, thanks for the guidance. I've thought about going Spider on a number of things, but so far have stayed the "original" course (although I will probably buy the Spider inertia reel seatbelt setup).

I'm certain galvanizing your chassis gave you substantial peace of mind. Didn't take mine down that far, so not an option for me.

Roger, I'd love for you to drop by and give my car a look (and, if I keep my nose to the grindstone, a drive) next time you come through Columbia. PM me and I'll send you my email address so you can let me know when you're coming through next.

-John
John Beach
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: