Redoing steering wheel.

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 am

About 20 years ago I sewed a new cover onto my steering wheel.
Looked and lasted OK but have decided to do it again as it's getting a bit tired, but more annoyingly the packing underneath has gotten a little "soggy".

Intend to find some rubber hose of the right diameter, ( about 0.9 inches total ?), split it, glue it in place and then stitch the new leather on.

Anyone have a better idea for the core, or know what the original was ?

(And no, I'm not going to send it off to the other side of the World to get done, this wheel ain't leaving my sight.....)

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Plumber's foam insulation for copper pipe might be better than hosepipe, as the latter might be too hard.

On the other hand, no idea how long such insulation might last..

A sheet of expanded neoprene (as used in wetsuits), cut into strips & wound & glued as a spiral wrap might be even better.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Cool thought with the neoprene, Bill.

Don't suppose Len Chandler would be willing to offer his tips/insights on how the pros do it?? Might be worth a try.

elan-f15/restored-steering-wheel-t19726.html

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 pm

This linke may help. http://www.eastwood.com/master-steering ... struc.html

Eastwood stuff is very good if somtimes a bit pricy. If nothing else looking at what the kit contains could give you a few good idea. A batch of epoxy and a leather steering wheel cover could do the trick for you. Good luck
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks for the ideas guys.

You're right Bill, unless I get a softish rubber I could end up with something that is too hard .

Randy- Len's work is superb but I don't think it reasonable to ask him to share his trade secrets. If you're reading this Len and are happy to let me know what makes for a good core I'd be interested to know but suspect it would be a product that's not available here anyway.

I had a look at the Eastwood stuff Dean but it appears to be for repairing hard plastic type wheels rather than our type.

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frizer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 am

http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/ourwork-LotusElan.aspx

Maybe ask these guys if they can supply you the rubber?
type 36 (previous owner)
Frizer
New-tral

PostPost by: 612kiwi3333 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I redid my wheel with 5/8 heater hose split and covered in wheelskins leather cover. Feel is just right for me.
Mike
70 elan +2
71 europa
612kiwi3333
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Purists will probably be horrified to learn that I can't abide the glare from the shiny bits of the steering wheel when driving away from the sun, so long ago I painted the spokes with matt black paint and I renew that from time to time.

Mine is not however a fancy signed wheel.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 am

Just an update on my search for a steering wheel core.

Contacted Nick Fulcher here, ( thanks for the link),

http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/ourwork-LotusElan.aspx

and he was able to supply me with the correct moulded core of the type he uses.
Turned up in the mail this morning so now I have to dust off the needles and thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:46 am

Tis done !
Core arrived, was glued on, and good old youtube showed me how to do a baseball stitch.

Added some photos if, like me, you never knew what is in the centre of your wheel.
And yep, in the picture of the finished wheel that is a Maserati dashboard clock on my dash.
Seemed too good to not do anything with, and didn't need to cut or drill any holes to fit it.
Attachments
DSCN1541.JPG and
Done ! Naturally the last bit of the stitching was the best...
DSCN1535.JPG and
You can see why the core really needs to have a square section internally.
DSCN1533.JPG and
What was found under the leather. Disintegrating foam.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi Ralph,

looks like you did a really good job there. Did you find it difficult to do and how long did it take you. What leather did you use?

Cheers

Steve
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Steve,
Time consuming rather than difficult.

The best thing I did was to get a core off Nick Fulcher, (GBP 45, see earlier post).
It was a moulded soft rubber, ( type of silicon ?), that had been moulded as a tube and then split down one side, presumably to release it from the mould.
When glued onto the rim that split line made a good guide to keep my stitching straight, ( ish....).
I trimmed all the old foam off with a cobbled up hot wire cutter but left the foam between the two flat rims. Nick made a point of saying to leave it and I can see why. The rims would collapse towards each other if it wasn't there.

The moulding needed some trimming to fit around the spokes. When glued I wound masking tape around it to keep it in place. Despite doing that there was still a few small bumps but to my surprise the rubber sanded beautifully and I was able to tidy it up with very little trouble.

The leather I got off a furniture upholsterer which means it has been tanned and dressed with softness more in mind than longevity. So I don't expect it to last as long but it is so nice to handle that I don't mind doing it again in 15 or 20 years. Especially as I expect the core to last forever.

If there are any real upholsterers reading this, well now's the time for a shake of the head, followed by a laugh, because my stitching time was about 4 or 5 hours.....

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 am

I did mine a few years ago, but retained the existing rubber.

The leather I used was a purchased wheel cover intended to be laced on.

Your stitching is neater than mine, but I too about that amount of time too.

:evil:
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 pm

reb53 wrote: If there are any real upholsterers reading this, well now's the time for a shake of the head, followed by a laugh, because my stitching time was about 4 or 5 hours.....Cheers Ralph.

Ralph,

Given the result, nobody has cause to laugh. It looks really very good.

It's something I don't think I would even attempt...no matter how many hours were available!

Out if interest was a special (waxed?) thread used?
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 am

Hi Richard,

When I first did the wheel more than 20 years ago I had no trouble finding a braided, square section, nylon thread that was as strong as hell and laid nice and flat when used.

This time I spent all day, ( one of the perqs of being self employed), driving around the district before I got some off a canvas/leather business.

Went back later and got some more for the next time. So if this re-cover lasts 20 years, and I have enough thread for another, I guess I'm good for the next 40 years....... :)

Leather and thread cost NZ$20, or about GBP10.

Cheers
Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: