Shock/damper failure

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 pm

In light of the recent thread about Spax shocks breaking at the top mounting eyelet, I decided to purchase Koni shocks. While they are for a TVR they are coil over units similar to those used on the Elans.

I noticed on the old set of Konis that I removed from the car that there was no threaded portion of the rod past the eyelet body. The now units have extended threads and there are quite a few that continue past the eyelet body.

I removed one "eyelet" and found it was fully threaded on the shaft making the exposed threads unavoidable.

Would anyone consider this a potential area for breakage as the thread exposed will act as a stress riser?

Was this the mechanism that caused the Spax failures?

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 am

Bob

Are you able to post up a picture of your new Koni struts. I would like to see how similar they are to the correct ones for an Elan. I have made various enquiries recently, and Koni no longer make shocks for the Elan front.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I know that the TVR Koni no. 80 - 2365 is a TVR only part. If you have the Koni number for the Elan I will contact the person who sold me the shocks to see if he has any in stock for the Elan. Koni is placing many of these "classic" shocks on special order. I was told that the Koni shocks I purchased were new old stock. Mfg. date 2007.

If the group wanted a quantity maybe they could be special ordered. I believe that special order means the distributor must order a minimum quantity of one P/N of shock.

Bob
Attachments
koniftold.jpg and
Old koni front TVR
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:43 pm

The new Koni's are the same with the exception of the extra threads that go past the top eyelet.

My concern at present is these threads will act as a stress riser and fail as the Spax units have done.

Anyone dare to venture a guess?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm just a bit puzzled here. Lotus Elan shocks don't have a top eye do they, also on these shocks there's no provision for the anti roll bar fixing. I'm not really sure what it is your asking.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I was wondering about that also. That is why I indicated that the TVR unit part number is shown as fitting that application only.

I will contact my Koni distributor to see if he could order a quantity of Elan units. I would need the proper Koni part number.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: