Spacer - 050 C 6104

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 pm

I fear that I have asked this question in the long past and forgotten the answer. I searched exhaustively through my own posts with no luck. Can anyone describe this spacer, 050 C 6104? It is listed in both the Elan and Elan+2 Service Parts Lists in the front suspension section but it not shown in the illustration, nor does is have a number key to the illustration. The description in the Elan Service Parts List is:

"Spacer, Dust Cover, Caliper Mounting Plate & Steering Arm to Vertical Link - Knock-on Wheels"

The description in the Elan +2 Service Parts List is the same except without reference to the wheels. Nothing in the front suspension of my +2S fits this description and I am trying to determine if something useful is missing.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:51 am

I have a (very) vauge recollection of a thin washer fitted between the steering arm and the upright. Might this be the spacer that you referenced?
Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Brian,
I also remember being told about a shim or washer in that location when I first bought the +2 in the late 70s. The Service Parts List shows two per vehicle, inferring one per side which is also consistent with a I recall hearing many years ago. It seems like really bad practice to use one shim which to alter the angle of the steering arm with respect to the upright when seen from above. The machined amounting surfaces of the steering arm and the upright would not lie in a common plane, causing a lot of unnecessary stress when bolted together.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:22 am

From my work on Caterhams I think what you are describing is a shim washer that is the same thickness as the brake disc dust cover, if the cover is not used then the shims must be used in order for the caliper to be correctly centralised, or maybe (my memory is dim) the dust cover only fits Under one of the fixings and one shim is needed or the steering arm and caliper will be misaligned fore and aft.

I think it may be the latter, trouble is I am trying to recall from memory what the suspension looks like and how it all goes together.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: