Steering column question

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 pm

There is quite a bit of play between the inner and outer columns at the steering wheel end on my Elan. What secures the inner coumn? I can remove play in the outer column by packing the upper clamp with a rubber strip but I will still have up and down movement of the inner column shaft. Any help appreciated. Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 am

There are two bushes - one either end.
They are nylon inner and rubber outer.
Readily available from usual Lotus suspects or for us in UK because column is basically a triumph part we can call on a wider supplier base.
There only a few pounds each and very light so wherever you are postage shouldn't be too bad.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 am

Thanks Mark
It looks like I may be missing the inner nylon bushing. If I look through the steering columns from the cockpit, I can't see anything between the two columns. I'll post a picture tomorrow if I find my camera.
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 am

Chris
That'll be a lot of play if there's no bush in which case insertion is straightforward.
In my experience getting a worn one out is pita.

sj036h0010.jpg and
Steering column bush
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Mark
Is the bushing visible from the drivers seat? How far from the end of the column is the bushing located? All I can see is the inner column wallowing around inside the outer column.
Thanks,
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Chris, the bushing has two locating knobs, one on each side, which extend through holes in the outer column. These holes should be visible on the outer column, upper and lower.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

If the bushes are present and correctly located they will be visible on the outside of the outer column. It may be that your upper bush has been pushed down when the inner column was inserted ?

steering-column-003a.jpg and
steering-column-002a.jpg and

Just beat me to it Mike :D
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks guys!
I was looking at this completely wrong. The bushing is there. What I see is play between the outer column and the U shaped bracket that secures the outer column. Moving the steering wheel up and down allows the outer column up and down movement of about 1/4". The whole dashboard flexes as well. There is also play in the inner nylon bushing so it looks I will replace it and fix every thing else that is loose.
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

seniorchristo wrote:Thanks guys!
I was looking at this completely wrong. The bushing is there. What I see is play between the outer column and the U shaped bracket that secures the outer column. Moving the steering wheel up and down allows the outer column up and down movement of about 1/4". The whole dashboard flexes as well. There is also play in the inner nylon bushing so it looks I will replace it and fix every thing else that is loose.

There's a bit of felt in the U shaped bracket which fits snuggly around the outer column and I seem to recall there's another recangular bit on the flat part of the bracket above the column
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes two pieces of felt in the yoke.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear