Steering rack mounting

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi,
Not sure whether I have a problem with my steering rack mountings or not on a 1972 S130. Sorry,no photos so I will use my best descriptive ability:
1.Ahead of the chassis cross member are two small outriggers that project forward, ending in location mountings for the body shell.
2. Fixed across these outriggers, and forward of the cross member is a metal plate with three large diameter holes in. This metal plate is under the steering rack.
3. There are four pairs of small diameter holes drilled, through which the steering rack clamp assemblies studs go. Point is that on the driver's side a pair of holes is used by the rack clamp,passing through the outrigger whereas on the passenger side a pair is used which just goes through the metal pate.
4. No other combination seems possible given the welded flanges around the steering rack.
Is this correct and I am looking at a chassis that can be used for either LHD or RHD or is there something else wrong? (My car is RHD)).

Thanks

Martin
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:34 am

My +2 S130 is just as you describe, there are 2 sets of rack mounting holes on each side, I assumed it is as the chassis is common LHD to RHD.

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Martin.

Please see photos of chassis front end, prior to and after rebuild of the steering & suspension. Hopefully these will answer your question.
The green arrows on the rebuilt photo indicate the 2 sets of 2 holes not used.

Note my car is a 1968 +2 on a Lotus chassis.
Attachments
Steering Rack - Front Chassis Pilot Drilled.jpg and
Steering Rack Assy.JPG and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: