Tires (revisit by a newbie)

PostPost by: kpcseven » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I know that this has been discussed many times over the years (I've spent a lot of time reviewing the old posts found with the search function) but much of that information is no longer applicable because availability has changed). I'm the proud new owner of an S2 with 5 inch Panasports (BO, 25mm offset) that has 155/13 Khumo's and left rear wheel rubbing on right turns that I can't live with. Is there anyone out there with an S2 without fender lip surgery and the Panasports running the 145/13 Vredestein's to confirm that combination works? Alternative suggestions? Almost forgot - I'm on the left side of the pond so US availability please.

Thanks in advance. Sorry about revisiting an old topic that I know remains problematic. Fantastic information in this forum!
kpcseven
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

First check all your suspension bushings. If they're rubber they may have perished and let the body down a bit. 155/80 x 13 doesn't seem too large.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:54 pm

If the tire is only rubbing in the corners then a small bit of cosmetic alteration will correct that problem. I would not call sanding off a 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch surgery. If it were mine I would jack the rear up and then use a jack stand with a small sheet of plywood to support the outer end of the rear lower control arm. Then lower the Elan off the jack. I would see "how close" the tire is at that ride height then add some weight to the boot, settle the suspension check again. if the clearance is a lot tighter, take a sheet of 80 grit board paper

80 grit board paper.JPG and

and hold the board paper against the tire and use the tire as the sanding block by rocking the wheel back and forth.
80 grit board paper on tire.JPG and

This will remove very little material but will stop the noise that seems to bothering you and cost you about a dollar. If you just keep driving the S2 the tire will do the same thing.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:20 pm

If you remove the wheel and look up in the wheel well, you will see black marks where the tyre is rubbing.

You can use rough grit sandpaper as suggested by Gary, or a file or rotary grinder to remove a little material.

You might have to repeat this process a couple of times to get clearance acceptable for your driving habits.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Welcome to the forum, as you say tire availability changes all the time, particularly in our "old-fashioned" size ranges.
155s are rather narrow for a 5 inch wheel, in fact on this typical chart they are the minimum:
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/equivalency-tables-advice.html
it seems surprising that they should be rubbing, therefore I'm drawn to looking at other factors; Galway's advice re bushes is sound but what about that 25mm off-set? The Lotus manual does not give any clues about the off-set on the original S2 4.5 inch wheels; any S1, S2 experts able to suggest what the off-set should be with 5 inch wheels?
Unfortunately all my experience has been with S4 cars, which are a different can of worms.

Let us know exactly where the rubbing is taking place, photos if poss, then the guys will be better able to diagnose the problem.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kpcseven » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Many thanks for the replies so far. The suspension bushings look to be grossly ok. The rubbing is right at the fender lip just as Gary has pictured. I put a few pieces of masking tape on the lip and can tell that there is some rub along about 5 inches of the lip, harder as the tape took a black line for 2 inches just back of the center point above the tire. I can't tell positively if there is rubbing higher up on the fender itself but it doesn't appear obvious. My suspicion is that Gary is quite right and that it won't take much sanding to stop the rub, and I like his suggested method, but I'd rather not start and then find that more of the lip than I want to sand away needs to be removed to fix the problem. I was hoping. Panasports being common, that another S2 owner would have experience with the exact combination (understanding that all of these cars are a little different and that what just clears on one many not fit on another).

I also have the original steel wheels which appear to be in good shape so another solution would be to mount the 155's on them and see if there is enough clearance, but I don't know if they have a lot of run out or not and I like the look of the Panasports.
Ken
kpcseven
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Ken,

I would start with Garys path as he has done many a wheel versions. As for the steels they are all good and true and if you feel compelled to do so mount one and try it on that location. You will know right away if it clears.

From the previous owner.
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kpcseven » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Mark,
I thought that it would be appropriate to let you be the one to announce that you had parted with the car! A public thank you from one happy new owner.
Ken
kpcseven
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Sorry Ken, nothing to add regarding your specific clearance issues. Just a thumbs up on the Vredestein's I got from Coker for my Plus 2. I really like them. Mine are 165 HR 13's on 5 1/2" Minilites, which is all stock sizing for this model. I like the handling better than when I had wider and lower profile 175/70/13's on the same rims.

Cheers
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:25 am

+1 for the Vredestein Sprint+ in 165HR13 for plus 2.
Mini thread hijack over.

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ftsoft » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:First check all your suspension bushings. If they're rubber they may have perished and let the body down a bit. 155/80 x 13 doesn't seem too large.

I'm not sure about 155/80x13, but I've run both 145 and 155 dunlops and bridgestones and at least on my S2, the 155's will always rub in tight corners (hairpins) or when going over a speedbump. It's never been enough to keep me from running them though.

Frank
66 S2 26/5194
LP4711LA-B
ftsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm

My sprint has a set of uniroyal tyres for rain. They may be old as itis the same set of tyre since it left paul matty s shop in 2009.
I browsed the forum and it seems the michelin xas is a sure bet

I just discovered how pricey they are! Geeeeeeeeeez :|
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Ken,

I have run 155's ( Michelin all weather radials) on 5 inch Panasports ( 25mm offset) on a type 26 body - you can keep the stock spring platforms I did not have a lot of rubbing on the fenders, did have to create clearance between rim and outboard end of control arms. The 155 on the 4.5 steel rime in my experience has been plug and play. going beyond 155 inside the stock fender can be done , but requires work and takes the car away from its intended behavior ( IHMO).

George

PS congratulations on new ownership -
Attachments
175-155.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm

George and Ken
The bolt ends have been modified for clearence has have the stock stock spring platforms.
If it were mine, which it is not anymore do the light sanding as Gary discribed. You will be good to go!
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Yay! I just heard from Uniroyal that the 155/80 R13 RainExperts I ordered in June will be available around the 28th of this month and the 165/80 R13s (rear tyres on 5.5-inch rims) will be manufactured the second week in January. I may actually be running my Elan again by springtime!!! :D :D :D My S3 has 26R rear arches so 155s on the rear would be lost in the wheel wells.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: