two gates alloy wheels

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Several years ago I purchased a set of 5 alloy KO wheels from Spyder Engineering. They were manufactured by Two Gates Wheels. I believe they are now out of business and were located in Birmingham.

I saw a posting on a Marcos web site that Two Gates alloy wheels for the Marcos were developing cracks and failing. Has anyone heard of or experienced any smilar problems with +2 Two Gates KO Alloy Wheels?

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:01 am

all alloys are prone to stress cracking with age, I'm not sure what the wheels you've got are like, or what you intend to do with them. If you are after a fun road car that you wont push to extremes, I'd visually check them for cracks after cleaning, do the "ring test" (hit them with a mallet firmly on the rim and listen for a dull sound, if they all ring true then tube em and use em!! If you are after a track day motor that you will drive like you stole, I'd only fit new wheels, that really leaves you with min ilites

hope this helps

Mark

(you could always have them x rayed, but where to get this done I do not know)
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:30 am

I purchased the "Two gates" alloy wheels new from Spyder. The "two gates" wheels that were cracking on Marcos cars,I beleive, were also new. Possible reproductions of original Marcos alloys.

I see Minilite makes 14 x 6J KO alloys. If I suspect a problem I will get a set of Minilites.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
Attachments
P6160029.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 am

nice wheels! try spyder, ask if they have had a problem and if the manufacturer is still around.If they are, chances are they will crack test the rims for you gratis if they are un used.

I prefer supalites to minilights, however thier sales office are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot, the conversation(via email ) went as follows " Hi are you able to supply 5 1/2"x13 rims with 100mm back space to the lotus knock on 5 peg drive pattern, if so who can i order them from? thanks Mark"
reply?

"Yes"

:shock:

great pr!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gav » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:41 am

Hi

I have been running the Spyder two gates wheels on my sprint for at least 5 years now (I dont remember when I bought them) with no problems at all.

I have used them on the road and hill climb circuits using A038 Yokos throughout and they seem fine.

Perhaps the Marcos wheels were a bad batch?

All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm

As it appears that Two Gates Wheels is no longer in business, I was concerned that wheel cracks and failures may have precipitated their demise.

Gavin, it is good to hear that your wheels have been trouble free.

Minilite has 14 x 6J KO wheels for the Elan +2. Do not know the cost.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:55 pm

I'm not so sure that Two Gates is out of business, in fact I'm led to believe that the Minilites on sale currently are cast in the Two Gates foundry. :twisted:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:19 pm

I remember Two Gates Wheels from when they tried to get business from Ford.
The foundry and machine shop was in Telford, and the toolroom that made the dies were in Two Gates Tamworth.
The Tamworth site is now a housing estate ? which seems to be the way industry is going in Britain.

I just searched Google and found references to Deloitte & Touche, so I guess they no longer exist.

I also found a safety alert that is probably the best answer to this thread.
http://www.rory.uk.com/safety_alerts.htm

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 pm

I saw that "safety alert" about the Marcos wheels. That is what prompted my original posting.

As they are different wheels it does not automatically follow that the +2 alloys are defective also.

I was looking for any bad experiences with Two gates +2 alloys.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:55 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
I just searched Google and found references to Deloitte & Touche, so I guess they no longer exist.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)

This does look like they have gone under; in my earlier post I said that I believed that Miniltes were "currently" cast by Two Gates- I should maybe have said "six months ago"......... :?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:11 pm

looks tom me like its an issue with the particular wheel used on the Marcos, it could be a design fault in the wheel or defective casting process, theimplication is to fit a different type of rim which leads me to believe the problem lies with that style of rim.

I rekon you have nothing to worry about, but just my opinion. The pedal box pivot issue is more of a concern, thats what mine looked like!! I had a new stainless one machined up.

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: